Fuel Pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bldn10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '02 Tahoe had been running fine (other than a low idle) but Mon. a.m. would not start. I cycled the key on and off a few times w/o starting and it then started up and ran fine the rest of the day. Since then it has developed a habit of running a few miles and the dying on me. The key cycling still works but I need to get it fixed. I replaced the fuel filter but that was not it. I put a pressure gauge on it and when it is running I have 40ish pounds but then it will drop to <10 and die. Does this sound like a bad fuel pump? The truck has 190,000+ miles on it and, having bought it from a lot, I don't know what has been replaced.

1_8TTony

Reaction score
Sounds typical of overheated (burnt) fuel pump wires on the fuel pump module.

The "fuel pump" on these vehicles consist of many parts and (as a whole), they are referred to as a "fuel pump module".

Drop the tank......remove the entire fuel pump module......look at the wires which travel from the electric fuel pump to the bottom side of the top of the fuel pump module. .....see if the wires look like they have been burnt. If they look burnt, replace the entire fuel pump module.

Sad thing is that bad wires inside the tank, (on the fuel pump) can't be replaced by them selves.

If you replace the fuel pump module, be sure to also replace the wire harness connector......the new fuel pump will come with a new connector and instructions for splicing onto the truck wire harness.

OP
OP
bldn10

bldn10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much trouble is dropping the tank on jackstands? Of course, I have a mostly full tank. :-/

MrBalll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At a full tank that will not be fun at all. It's already somewhat awkward to drop, but with fuel I'd have a helper. You may be better off putting the truck on jack stands and then using a floor jack with a 2x4 to support the fuel tank.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I knew mine was going on my 01 because it was parked next to my garage wall and whenever I turned the key i would hear the pump start, forva few days it started getting louder....of course full tank and rusted to shit lines.....2 jacks and some wood will be your friend here...

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would disconnect the fuel line at the rail and stick a hose on it and then transfer your fuel from your tank to gas cans, other car tank or wherever. There are 2 terminals on your ALDL connector under your dash that you can jump which causes your fuel pump to stay on constantly. Use your fuel pump to pump out the fuel before it finally dies. Be careful and dont allow anyone around you to smoke or any open flames or power tools while doing this job. Remember it is not the fuel itself that mess your world up, its the fumes that are explosive. The liquid fuel just keeps the world going to suck after the vapors explode.

Maximus1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the pump change from the driver side passenger at the top. Just lay the seat forward and lift up the carpet and cut a square above the sump. Swap out the sump/pump and reinstall the square piece of metal and seal it up with liquid nails or body tar. Put the carpet and seat back and done. Maximum time spent is maybe an hour and that's with a 15 minute break. Also if you ever have to change it again it will be even easier. I'll never drop the tank again to do the fuel pump on my Tahoe. No water leaks after a drive thru car wash or extra sound noise either. I seriously wish I would have known about this sooner.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt take the chance of exhaust fumes getting into the vehicle by cutting holes in the floor. Would the liwuid nails hold? Sure, most likely. What happens when it doesnt? DEAD! Why do you think the manufacturers rarely make that a factory install? Ive only seen one manufacturer make a hole in the trunk area factory and that was on a volkswagen golf or jetta iirc. That was back in the late 80s/early 90s.

I did it on a 90s camaro when i was young, stupid and lazy. Its not that big of a deal to drop a tank on anything. Getting the gas out is easy too.