Fuel pump stuff questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
2006 Z71. Yesterday she gave me a long start after sitting for the day at work. Ran strong home. This morning, long start again. Ran strong to work. When I got there, I shut it off. Restarted perfectly. After work today, long start again, only this time when I got home, I smelled gas when I got out. I got under there and sure enough, the bottom of the tank is wet with gas. I'm guessing that it's a rusted line up top or a leaking pressure line. Tomorrow morning I will prime it a couple times first and see how it starts. I want to deal with this before it's -10° with snow all over, so I'm thinking I'll just drop the damn tank and change stuff (when I use some gas stove I filled it up 2 days ago). Anybody have upgrade recommendations for the pump, or just stick to Delco, Delphi, or what? Also, is the filter something I can do while it's down, too, or is that part of the pump assembly? Do I need new straps to put the tank back up? I've heard horror stories.... Any pointers or part input welcome, please, as well as any "while you're at its"

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes acdelco, do it once nate. if your leaking gas the top of the sending unit maybe rusted through or the rubber lines that go to the hard lines. I feel like filter is in tank on your year... my 01 was on frame rail and I haven’t looked on my 13 yet. Spray the straps a few days few times a day before you get under there to do it and def try to use up sone gas... full tank is heavy asf

OP
OP
HiHoeSilver

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Yes acdelco, do it once nate. if your leaking gas the top of the sending unit maybe rusted through or the rubber lines that go to the hard lines. I feel like filter is in tank on your year... my 01 was on frame rail and I haven’t looked on my 13 yet. Spray the straps a few days few times a day before you get under there to do it and def try to use up sone gas... full tank is heavy asf

Didn't know if there was something better out there. @Rocket Man was talking about his, but I'm not going for any major performance upgrades. Just like to use the best when possible. The Delco is $221 on RockAuto. I know I don't have a filter along the frame, so I'm guessing this is my shot at it. She is running strong, so I don't think the pump is on its way out, I'm thinking pressure line leaking. Will definitely run this tank down. Maybe do it all late next week since I'm home a couple days for Thanksgiving.

OP
OP
HiHoeSilver

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
What about the charcoal canister and purge /vent solenoids? I haven't had any trouble with any of it, but should I just change every thing while I'm down there?

about20ninj45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In 05-06, the fuel filter is part of the pump assembly and is non serviceable. The new unit comes with one. If you had an external one, it would be on the drivers side next to the frame, right under the driver's seat. Theres also an updated/revised charcoal canister if you decide to replace it. If you shake the canister around and hear a rattle, you should replace it. The debris can clog the line and make it hard to fill up when you put gas in it

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't know if there was something better out there. @Rocket Man was talking about his, but I'm not going for any major performance upgrades. Just like to use the best when possible. The Delco is $221 on RockAuto. I know I don't have a filter along the frame, so I'm guessing this is my shot at it. She is running strong, so I don't think the pump is on its way out, I'm thinking pressure line leaking. Will definitely run this tank down. Maybe do it all late next week since I'm home a couple days for Thanksgiving.
AC Delco for stock replacement . I'm going to a Walbro 450 because I'm going to need more fuel when I up my boost. I want to cut an access hole in my floor to do mine but I need to figure out exactly where to cut it.

about20ninj45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AC Delco for stock replacement . I'm going to a Walbro 450 because I'm going to need more fuel when I up my boost. I want to cut an access hole in my floor to do mine but I need to figure out exactly where to cut it.

There's a write up that someone did for a trap door to access the fuel pump, I'll see if I can find it... Or it may have been a YouTube video

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a great video but that's an XL. I'm not sure if mines in the same place. But now that I see what's involved, I'll probably just drop the tank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts