Fuel Pressure issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TahoeInFC

Reaction score
Hi All,
I've done some hunting around out here, and I think that I might have a fuel pressure issue with my Tahoe.
It's been running OK, and hasn't thrown any codes (since recently replacing the catalytic converters), but sometimes has a rougher idle and I can faintly smell gas in the intake plenum. I can shine a light down there through the throttle, and don't see moisture, but can smell the fuel.
Also, not always, but sometimes when driving on the highway, I've heard some popping when letting off the throttle after going at highway speed or downshifting in the mountains. Not huge backfires, but enough to where I'm thinking it's a little rich.

I went and grabbed a fuel pressure test gauge today and did some quick testing.

Key On - Gauge jumps up to 60psi for about 1 second, then drops to 50psi and holds for a few seconds, then slowly sags to 40psi all without the engine running. Sits still at 40psi and doesn't seem to sag any more than that.

Key Off - Gauge holds at wherever it was shut off...doesn't drop out quick (which might be a good sign, indicating no leaking injectors or leaking pressure regulator). If it was shut off at 50psi, it holds there until the pressure relief valve on the gauge itself is pressed and drained.

Engine running - Fuel pressure gauge stands solid at 50psi. If you goose the pedal a little, it jumps to about 55psi, but settles quickly back to 50psi and holds, even if you goose it and hold it around 1500-2000rpm.

These readings all sound too low to me. I've been seeing posts that suggest that 60-65psi should be the holding pressure when running, some of them in this forum.

Not sure if the low pressure readings explain the fuel smell in the intake, but could certainly explain an occasional rough idle.

The background:
- 99 Tahoe, 5.7L
- 135k on the ticker
- Already converted to MPFI spider (guessing around 97,000 miles, according to previous owner records)
- Starts and runs very easily, so doesn't seem to be a spark issue (although I suppose I could have a wearing cap/rotor that are not allowing full combustion of the fuel). No idea how old they are. I think the previous owner did a tune-up with plugs and wires at 110k, but not sure if he did cap and rotor. His scribbles are appreciated, but not the easiest to read.

Sound like a potentially failing fuel pump?
If so, who's got the best pump these days? AC Delco? Someone else?
Am I barking up the wrong tree here?

Thanks in advance!

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Factory spec is for it to hold 60-66 psi with ignition on and engine not running.

Has the fuel filter been replaced?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
TahoeInFC

TahoeInFC

Reaction score
Yes, replaced the fuel filter at 118k. I wouldn't think it would be clogged yet, but maybe.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

o_fatmike_o

Reaction score
yeah try changing the inline filter , see what it reads then . would a worn but not completely failed fuel pressure regulator possibly cause this ?

OP
OP
TahoeInFC

TahoeInFC

Reaction score
Yeah, this would be pretty easy to try. These filters aren't that expensive.
So, I think you might have hit on what's happening. I think my pump is on the way out, but not completely done yet. As far as I know, this is still the original pump.
One thing I've noticed is that the pump is getting louder. A year ago, it would be noisy at 1/4 tank of gas. Now it's that noisy at 1/2 tank. I think I'll be dropping the tank soon.
Any preference on the new pump? Is Delphi decent?
Thanks!

OP
OP
TahoeInFC

TahoeInFC

Reaction score
Also, you could be onto something with regards to a failing pressure regulator. The one that's in there is only about 37,000 miles old, but it might be a dud. Are these prone to this type of failure?

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's holding pressure when turned off, that should rule out a bad regulator or leaking injector.

OP
OP
TahoeInFC

TahoeInFC

Reaction score
If it's holding pressure when turned off, that should rule out a bad regulator or leaking injector.

Yeah, it held right where it was left when the key was shut off. Had to release pressure using the button on the pressure gauge.
Guessing the sag from 50 to 40psi with key on was loss in the pump. The pump is likely drawing more current from the battery if it's getting ready to die, so it slows when the engine isn't running the charging system.
When running, held strong at 50 without wavering much, but this is still too low, correct?

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The specs are for it to be higher, so it could be a restriction causing the pressure drop. Aside from replacing the fuel filter, there are ways to check the pressure closer to the pump but you'd probably need to install a temporary isolation valve and gauge fitting.

I have the factory test procedure if you'd like it.

OP
OP
TahoeInFC

TahoeInFC

Reaction score
The specs are for it to be higher, so it could be a restriction causing the pressure drop. Aside from replacing the fuel filter, there are ways to check the pressure closer to the pump but you'd probably need to install a temporary isolation valve and gauge fitting.

I have the factory test procedure if you'd like it.

Hi east302, yeah, I'd like to see that procedure! Thanks for sharing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts