Fuel issue here looking for help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97blueyuk

Reaction score
My 97 Yukon 5.7 vortex is not starting.

This all started after I fixed a cracked fuel line near the tank. The fuel pump is only about 3 years old and I can hear it running when key is turned on.

After I fixed the cracked line it was fine for a day or two. Then it started giving me issues starting and I had to use starting fluid. I though maybe the filter needed changed so I changed it. After changing it it would not start. I double checked the filter was going the correct way. I pulled the filter, had gas coming out of both fuel lines ( back from the motor and from the tank). It seems gas is getting to engine but not starting. Spark is fine. I was thinking pressure regulator/spider injector but would like some opinions before going through taking it all apart.

Thank you

OP
OP
97blueyuk

97blueyuk

Reaction score
I will get a fuel pressure tester today and test it and post results.

OP
OP
97blueyuk

97blueyuk

Reaction score
Fuel pressure is 56-57 when trying to start the truck. It will start with starting fluid but dies shortly after

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It may be on the low end, factory specs are 60-66 psi with the ignition on (not cranking).

What is the pressure after you stop cranking? Let it sit for a few minutes, if it quickly drops to zero within a few seconds then it could be a bad regulator or leaking injector.

Is the instrument cluster passlock (security) light on?

Here are the diagnostics for a 1998 5.7L, maybe it will help...

E13D4713-C72E-474B-AC6C-7AEE6822E64C_zpszlegokay.gif

E2399BA8-E4B3-4989-940E-FC53DF627230_zps6wfzexhn.gif

E96418C6-EA42-466B-B20B-8EDF25CB2311_zps63qdlxpm.gif

7D963841-C9A8-4EC7-B024-7D4A75B28B3D_zpsgpgyq1ok.gif

0680E2E8-ED83-47DD-ADC7-79FB91D950F3_zpsa1eoxxd6.gif

8B78A02A-4D79-4B57-9314-D25840365876_zps8z5hays9.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
97blueyuk

97blueyuk

Reaction score
So it's been awhile been very cold most days. I have been checking and testing today. I changed a kinked line. After cycling the IGN as stated in the above docs the pressure gets to 58. It will start at that point for a few seconds. While running the pressure drops to about 54. After turning off IGN very lil pressure drop shows on the guage maybe a pound or two after a few minutes. Also the rear of truck is in the air not sure if that matters. I am thinking weak fuel pump. Any opinions?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree- weak pump. Is it a Delphi or AC Delco pump? The aftermarket replacement pumps for these are widely known to be hit-or-miss. Did this replacement pump come with the updated wire connector?

OP
OP
97blueyuk

97blueyuk

Reaction score
It is Delphi. I believe the wiring was already done prior to me. New pump plugged right in.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3 years is a short life for a quality pump. Have you verified the wiring and all was good- all connections clean and solid, etc.? I know this generation of GM had odd ground locations. For instance, my S10 had a ground at the very back on the left side frame rail that was for the taillights (makes sense) AND the fuel pump (dumb, in my opinion). That's a long way for a ground for a relatively high-amp device when there's plenty of closer options. This, and the wiring itself being small makes the power supply to the pump marginal even when the wiring and all is in tip top shape. Starving the pump for voltage, even if just a small amount, will make it pull more amps and run hotter, shortening it's life. Powering it off of a relay is cheap and easy and would eliminate any voltage drop concerns. If not new, I like to use the fan relays from mid-90s cars (usually Fords) at the salvage yards. They're good quality, have weather-tight sockets with heavy gauge wiring in them already and they're cheap. Power your fuel pump off of this and you may actually notice better engine performance.

OP
OP
97blueyuk

97blueyuk

Reaction score
The wiring is pretty good. I replaced the ground when I put the pump in last time. I it just ran from pump to frame. It was thin and kind of short, i changed that

I read on a few diff places that people were getting short lives with them even the quality ones.

My thinking is same as yours with the shirt life but.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne