FS: OEM electric fan harness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this plug and play for a 04 2500 Suburban 8.1 4l85e?

I KNOW that the E-fan harness will work on a 6.0 but I'm unsure about the 8.1 liter engine. A custom tune will be needed regardless of what engine you have. I would email Blackbear performance, or send
@JennaBear a private message on here and ask.

And as being "plug and play", that depends on what your definition of plug and play is. If the 8.1 is like the 6.0, then no wire splices or soldering will be involved in installing the harness. 2 pins connect into the PCM, a power wire connects/bolts to the underhood fuse box power stud, a ground ring bolts on to the frame/chassis, and then the two fan plugs plug right up to the two fans.

MCAT069

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will message her now. They will be doing a custom tune for me as soon as I get the correct e fans. If this harness will work, then I'd like to purchase it from you as opposed to a vendor. I like to support fellow forum members whenever possible.

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
All depends on the fans being used. The 8.1L radiator is larger than the 6L.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All depends on the fans being used. The 8.1L radiator is larger than the 6L.

@JennaBear I have a question about the 8.1 engine. Does it use the same type of PCM as the 5.3 and 6.0 engines? What I'm basically asking is will an E-fan harness connect to the 8.1 engine wiring and fuse box just like it would on a 4.8/5.3/6.0 engine? You clarified that the radiator is physically larger, but now I'm wondering about the wiring.

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
@JennaBear I have a question about the 8.1 engine. Does it use the same type of PCM as the 5.3 and 6.0 engines? What I'm basically asking is will an E-fan harness connect to the 8.1 engine wiring and fuse box just like it would on a 4.8/5.3/6.0 engine? You clarified that the radiator is physically larger, but now I'm wondering about the wiring.
We did not deal with a factory fan break out on our 8.1L so I can't give any advice on that.

OP
OP
S

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just found someone who installed E-fans on his 8.1 2500 Avalanche. Seems that the wiring IS the same as the 4.8/5.3/6.0 engine. The biggest hurdle is the much larger radiator. The guy in this thread modified his original fan shroud to fill the gap between the radiator and the 05+ dual electric fans. But the pictures are not longer working. Still worth a read...
http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,103678.0.html

MCAT069

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help everyone. The 07 classic 2500 came with an 8.1 and has an option for electronic fans from the factory. Part number is (brand) 4 seasons 76016 or brand TYC 622210. I think I can make those work since I'll have to modify the shroud anyway . @ScottyBoy I will buy your harness if it works with either one of the fans listed above.

OP
OP
S

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help everyone. The 07 classic 2500 came with an 8.1 and has an option for electronic fans from the factory. Part number is (brand) 4 seasons 76016 or brand TYC 622210. I think I can make those work since I'll have to modify the shroud anyway . @ScottyBoy I will buy your harness if it works with either one of the fans listed above.
Well, I cannot say for SURE that the 05-06 OEM Electric fan harness will work with the 07 8.1liter fans. Although, I did some digging on Rockauto, and the pictures they have of the plug on the fans look just like the 05+ truck fans. I also looked up a "Radiator cooling fan pigtail" and the same wiring harness pigtail comes up that is used on the 05+ electric fans. So it appears that the plugs ARE the same. The one and only concern I have is how much current do those huge fans draw? I honestly have no idea if the harness I have is capable or not of running those monstrous fans. I know it handles the E-fans for the 34" radiator just fine. I just don't want to assure you that it will be fine when I honestly don't know. If those big fans use the same amount of current as the 34" fans, then I would think it will be perfectly fine. But if they do indeed draw MORE current, then you may need to make a custom harness with 80 amp relays and 10 gauge wire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout