Frontend wobbling after extensive frontend work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gossamer

Reaction score
I'll try this again.
Hopefully I can get some helpful answers instead of the opposite that I encountered on my last post.

2002 2wd Tahoe.....17" stock GM wheels.

No accidents in vehicle ever.

Frontend is wobbling after new ball joints...tierods...end links...hubs...shocks...tires.
Wheels have been balanced twice. Frontend has been aligned.
Wheels are on tight.

It is still wobbling like it did before the above things were done....not as bad, but still wobbling.

After alignment the steering wheel has moved from a center of 12 o'clock to almost 10 o'clock.
It seems to have a feeling of sloppy steering that isn't as tight as it should be.

Pitman arms look great and are tight.
Maybe a steering gear box issue? Steering shaft bad?

Any assistance is highly appreciated.

Thank you

Last edited:

David Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may need to tighten/replace your steering gear box.

I have read on here that you can back off the nut on the box and tighten the shaft with an allen wrench a little bit at a time. That sounds like the only option left...

OP
OP
Gossamer

Gossamer

Reaction score
You may need to tighten/replace your steering gear box.

I have read on here that you can back off the nut on the box and tighten the shaft with an allen wrench a little bit at a time. That sounds like the only option left...

Yeah, options are running out.
I will check that...thanks

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
any particular reason the grease monkey couldn't put your steering wheel back to 12" o'clock ? I always make sure I tell whatever place is doing mine I want my steering wheel correct. I would think if the steering box is worn that you might have a little play in the steering wheel but it shouldn't wobble.

OP
OP
Gossamer

Gossamer

Reaction score
any particular reason the grease monkey couldn't put your steering wheel back to 12" o'clock ? I always make sure I tell whatever place is doing mine I want my steering wheel correct. I would think if the steering box is worn that you might have a little play in the steering wheel but it shouldn't wobble.

It was at the 12 o'clock position. It has since moved to almost the 10 o'clock position.
Not a really good situation in my eyes and it sure isn't being driven.
I guess the steering box and shaft are the only things left....but I may be wrong.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was at the 12 o'clock position. It has since moved to almost the 10 o'clock position.
Not a really good situation in my eyes and it sure isn't being driven.
I guess the steering box and shaft are the only things left....but I may be wrong.
so I'm confused, when the alignment was done the steering wheel was at 12"? and it has now moved to 10"
or was it at 12" before the work was done and now moved to 10"
either way I would have that alignment double checked and correct the steering wheel and whoever is doing the alignment can tell you what is causing the wobble while they are under there.

OP
OP
Gossamer

Gossamer

Reaction score
Dude, im not being a dick but when I suggested your ‘box’ in your other post you blew it off...just sayin bro...

I had no beef with you at all. You didn't act like an ass,
Now you post a smart ass response on the other thread?
Real classy and non-adult.

OP
OP
Gossamer

Gossamer

Reaction score
so I'm confused, when the alignment was done the steering wheel was at 12"? and it has now moved to 10"
or was it at 12" before the work was done and now moved to 10"
either way I would have that alignment double checked and correct the steering wheel and whoever is doing the alignment can tell you what is causing the wobble while they are under there.

Ahh, from the start.
The steering wheel was at about the 11 o'clock position before the frontend work with a slight pull to the right.
After the frontend work and before the alignment it was repositioned at about the 10 o'clock position.
After the alignment it was at the 12 o'clock position.
Since Saturday with only about 15 miles on it the steering wheel now sits centered at the 10 o'clock position again.
It also likes to moderately pull to the right but doesn't do it consistently which is odd.
After the alignment the steering felt tight but has gotten noticeably looser.

Going back by the shop today after work to have them check everything with a fine toothed comb. I feel it isn't safe to even drive on 45mph street let alone on the highway.

Was kinda hoping that someone has had a similar issue.
If I find out the problem I will for sure post it here, thanks.

Shaw520

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If Im reading this correctly,....the steering wheel position has moved from 12 oclock to 10 oclock since the alignment ?