Front fender to ground measurement before and after spindle drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hm. A 2” drop spindle should be a 2” drop. Period. ? At least when measuring in the wheel well area. Measure under the drivers door, yeah it will be less. Measure under the front vallence, it will probably be a bit more.

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
talking to belltech about this they are looking into making another revision but not sure when they will. THat being said you can get a mcgauhys spindle and spend 300 more for 7/16 more drop... or the money you save do the drop struts or cups and get a 2-4 front adjusatble

OP
OP
R

roccos_van

Reaction score
talking to belltech about this they are looking into making another revision but not sure when they will. THat being said you can get a mcgauhys spindle and spend 300 more for 7/16 more drop... or the money you save do the drop struts or cups and get a 2-4 front adjusatble

I wouldn't change anything Tony. The stance on your 2/4 kit is absolutely perfect.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See post #2 by NORCAL SS and post # 6 by dbbd1

I had already read both of them. They still dont really make sense to me.

Excuse my ignorance, as I am a lifted truck kind of guy. So I am learning, but I learn quick.

If the spindle raises 2”, how can the tire not be lowered in the wheel well 2”? Regardless of there being several different height springs, if you are using the same spring then a 2” drop spindle is a 2” drop. No? Im not talking about measuring at the center of the vehicle when only lowering the front. Im talking about the measurement at the front wheel, where it was lowered. How could it not be 2”?

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
the spindle will lower the 2" yes. im talking about pre lowering measurements. THats why some need a 3.5 to sit right while if you have the shorter springs in front needs 4.5 rear drop to sit right

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the spindle will lower the 2" yes. im talking about pre lowering measurements. THats why some need a 3.5 to sit right while if you have the shorter springs in front needs 4.5 rear drop to sit right

Ok. Im understanding that. Thanks NORCAL.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sadly, high school geometry enters the picture...

And, way too many variables here...

In a perfect world, with 2" drop spindles, you would get 2" of drop. Not knowing the how's, where's and who's, I'll give you my theory. If you measured rear wheel well height, removed the rear tires and wheels and then set the wells back to the exact height. Then, did your front spindle drop, then lowered the rear wells exactly 2", you should see a 2" drop. (This is not taking into account springs relaxing before/after being jacked up off of the ground and other details). But, if you leave the rear up at the original height, you will skew your results. Think of a ramp, you lower the low end 2", the high end stays the same but the middle (at various points) will not drop by 2". The results will also be different between regular (more noticeable- think shorter ramp) and the XL's (longer ramp). And, then, autoride, conditions of the shocks, etc will make a difference. For the real physics nuts- your center of gravity will also change, which would put more weight on the front, which could help lower it more. Again, not knowing how it was measured, I can only guess (both, front and rear, dropped 2", rear dropped 3" instead, only measured the front then did the rear, was the rear done at all).

There is no doubt that the spindles will drop 2" but everything else on the rig will drop accordly with where it is on our "ramp."

I'm kinda tracking.

With the "ramp" relation, I get how the rear location can affect front height. But, wouldn't it only affect the height in front of or behind the "pivot point"?

Imagine a see-saw. The center (X and Y intersect) of the pivot point (fulcrum) of the see-saw is the center of the wheel/spindle (the actual spindle shaft- not the entire knuckle). Lift one end of the see-saw, and the other end drops or vice-versa- normal see-saw movement. Now, lower the X-axis 2" but remain on the Y-axis. Lift one end and the other end drops, but the X/Y intersect is still the same and 2" lower.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hm. A 2” drop spindle should be a 2” drop. Period. ? At least when measuring in the wheel well area. Measure under the drivers door, yeah it will be less. Measure under the front vallence, it will probably be a bit more.

My thoughts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt