Front fender to ground measurement before and after spindle drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roccos_van

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Getting ready to lower a 2018 esk 4x4 on 26s.

Gonna use Tony's kit with the front belltech 2" drop spindles.

does anyone have a before and after wheel arch measurement in their 4x4 nnbs ?

Tony already told me it's a 1.5 drop on a 4x4 but looking to check wheel arch height

thank you

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
this depends on which spring gm used. ON 15 ups gm used 3 different springs and some sit higher. My escalade was at 35.5 stock where as others iv done higher spring rate 36.25.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Getting ready to lower a 2018 esk 4x4 on 26s.

Gonna use Tony's kit with the front belltech 2" drop spindles.

does anyone have a before and after wheel arch measurement in their 4x4 nnbs ?

Tony already told me it's a 1.5 drop on a 4x4 but looking to check wheel arch height

thank you

How can a 2" spindle not equal 2" of drop?

Regardless of what spring your truck has and where it sits, it should be 2" lower from that with the spindles.

I've got 35.75

Then the spindles should put it at 33.75". Your measurement versus other people's measurement is irrelevant when measured from the fender to the ground. Different wheels and tires, tire air pressure, vehicle not being on a flat and level surface, etc. all skew the measurements when comparing one person's vehicle to another. The only way to be accurate is to park on a flat and level surface and measure from the bottom of the fender lip to the center of the wheel. If everyone did this when reporting their before and after heights, there'd be a lot less variance and confusion.

OP
OP
R

roccos_van

Reaction score
Thsnjs for the reply .

Tony told me specifically that on 4x4 models the spindles give a 1.5" drop. He told 3 times via text.

At the end of the day, I will install and check the amount of drop that's the only way to know for sure.

I will measure from the centre of the wheel like you said.

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How can a 2" spindle not equal 2" of drop?

Sadly, high school geometry enters the picture...

Regardless of what spring your truck has and where it sits, it should be 2" lower from that with the spindles.

And, way too many variables here...

In a perfect world, with 2" drop spindles, you would get 2" of drop. Not knowing the how's, where's and who's, I'll give you my theory. If you measured rear wheel well height, removed the rear tires and wheels and then set the wells back to the exact height. Then, did your front spindle drop, then lowered the rear wells exactly 2", you should see a 2" drop. (This is not taking into account springs relaxing before/after being jacked up off of the ground and other details). But, if you leave the rear up at the original height, you will skew your results. Think of a ramp, you lower the low end 2", the high end stays the same but the middle (at various points) will not drop by 2". The results will also be different between regular (more noticeable- think shorter ramp) and the XL's (longer ramp). And, then, autoride, conditions of the shocks, etc will make a difference. For the real physics nuts- your center of gravity will also change, which would put more weight on the front, which could help lower it more. Again, not knowing how it was measured, I can only guess (both, front and rear, dropped 2", rear dropped 3" instead, only measured the front then did the rear, was the rear done at all).

There is no doubt that the spindles will drop 2" but everything else on the rig will drop accordly with where it is on our "ramp."

OP
OP
R

roccos_van

Reaction score
I think I understand what you mean.

The vehicle rotates on an axis. For example, if i loaded the rear of the car with 1000lbs the rear would drop and the front would lift.

Is that what you meant?

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I understand what you mean.

The vehicle rotates on an axis. For example, if i loaded the rear of the car with 1000lbs the rear would drop and the front would lift.

Is that what you meant?

Exactly, but not necessarily equally.

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And, why a 4X4 is different, I can only guess.

Stiffer spring rates? Who know? That **** is beyond me!

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Will be 1.5 to 1 5/8 frop from factory with the belltechs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons