Front fan not working (HVAC) plz help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ROBERTOcritser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fan for my front HVAC stopped working about a week ago and it's hasn't started working since. My rear air controls work fine. When I'm drivin about 50mph I can feel air blowin through the vents only if the fan is OFF. I turn it on and the air will stop flowing. When I changed it from feet to defroster or anything like that I can hear a small clicking sound which I am assuming is the flaps that direct air flow.
Please help. the fan does not work under any circumstances.

WrenchGuy

WrenchGuy
Reaction score
Its the switch relay. Mine did it too and its common I guess. 30 bucks at Auto Zone?

Right next to the fan under there is 2 screws/bolts holding it up there and it has its own harness.

Did the fan only work on certain speeds before it went out? Thats a sure sign of it.

OP
OP
ROBERTOcritser

ROBERTOcritser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. I'll look into that. But it didn't do like you said working on certain speeds but i'll check that relay for sure. Also is this relay inside the cab like on the passenger side under the dash where your feet would be?

WrenchGuy

WrenchGuy
Reaction score
Yeah just pop your glove box out and its right there next to the fan.

You can get it off without removing the entire shroud. 7mm for the shroud bolts. It will hang down enough to get at the resistor. Then its 5mm I think to remove the resistor. The clips on the harnesses can be a PITA but its easy to do really. Just have to contort a little bit...lol

Its actually a Blower Motor Resistor my bad!

Last edited:

914jpw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am having the same problem. The front HVAC does not work but the rear does. The front doesn't blow or anything, but the back does. I just replaced the blower motor resistor with a new acdelco part number 15-81638 (GM 13598099) and that did nothing. Is a fuse or something to check, or what could it be?

dirtydenali07

Reaction score
Oh wait, mine is a 2007. Probably same thing though
Did you get it figured out? I replaced the resistor this summer after having to kick or hit under the dash near the blower to make it work. New resistor worked fine until couple of days ago. Just bought and installed a new resistor today. Still didn’t work. Decided to hit the bottom of the blower with my 4D cell maglight. Percussive maintenance. Blower started right up. Works in all speeds. Pulled out the little white rubber plug under the blower and sprayed a little bit of wd-40 in around the shaft (bearing) and left blower running for about 10 minutes. We’ll see if it works tomorrow.

914jpw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I replaced the resistor, harness, and blower motor all at the same time. Works beautifully and is quiet. No more issues. When I took the harness out between the resistor and motor I noticed one of the connectors was slightly melted.

isp5190

Reaction score
Did you get it figured out? I replaced the resistor this summer after having to kick or hit under the dash near the blower to make it work. New resistor worked fine until couple of days ago. Just bought and installed a new resistor today. Still didn’t work. Decided to hit the bottom of the blower with my 4D cell maglight. Percussive maintenance. Blower started right up. Works in all speeds. Pulled out the little white rubber plug under the blower and sprayed a little bit of wd-40 in around the shaft (bearing) and left blower running for about 10 minutes. We’ll see if it works tomorrow.
Is it still working? Our 2009 blower just did the same. When I removed the blower it started to work. I used silicone rather than WD-40. I am going to see if it works tomorrow also (lol).