Front end pop?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danzigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This summer I had my local dealership swap my hydro boost and they fixed the steering column issue while they were in the area. While it was there they told me my pitman and idler arms needed replacement. The price they gave me was insane ($1,600) so I told them I would take care of it myself. The truck made a popping sound during tight turns or sudden stops but it has done that for a while. I always associated it with the steering column issue.

Last week I replaced the inner and outer tierods, the pitman arm, the idler arm and idler bracket. Afterwards I got the alignment done. I have a lifetime alignment so i get it checked fairly regularly. While this did improve the steering a bit the front end still makes a popping noise on tight turns. What could be causing this? I was thinking ball joints, but that is only my guess.

pflan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am definitely following this thread. I have the same issue. For the past 6 months or so, sometimes during a slow turn or a sudden stop, I get a pretty noticeable popping noise from the front end.

I am having my sway bar links replaced soon, so I am going to have them check the ball joints. I am hoping and praying that isn't it, as I'm nowhere near the mechanic I need to do be to take that on myself. Their quote is in the neighborhood of $1000-1200 parts and labor.

I'll update you on what they say is causing my popping noise.

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Popping noise could be anything. Start with GM TSB 03-08-61-002

It's free & easy. If that doesn't fix it check the body mounts & look up the TSB for that. I use this website as part of my diagnosis for ANYTHING. Always check TSBs for any problems or issues that you are experiencing with your vehicle. That is what the techs in the GM svc dept do...

http://www.bbbind.com/free_tsb.html

This link may not take you directly to the TSB that I have referred you to. Just submit your info & email, agree to the terms, and you will have instant access to the 100's of GM service bulletins for your make & model automobile. I found the "Snap/Pop from Front of Vehicle" under the 'steering/suspension' subgroup. It's the 10th one down from the top.

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
Does the noise mostly happen when turning from a dead stop.If so sure sounds like a cv shaft to me.Have you looked at your front axles are the boots torn anywhere is their grease emitting from any of the boots.

OP
OP
Danzigman

Danzigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CV shafts would be for a 4x4 I have a 2x4. I will check out the tsb. I have been away for the holidays so I haven’t had a chance to look into it further.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9