Front Dash Crack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Super Kevin

Reaction score
I have a 2008 Tahoe and there is a 6" crack on the hump by the steering wheel. I found an easy solution to mitigate how much it spreads.

When you first notice the crack find the very end of the crack and drill a small hole where it terminates. This relieves the stress on the crack and will stop it there. Then get Loctite Epoxy Plastic Bonder. It is a two part epoxy. Mix it thoroughly and work it into the crack then wipe off the excess with Alcohol, be careful to not get any in the crack. I applied a piece of clear packing tape over the crack when it was curing. The cure time for the epoxy says 20 min but I let it sit over night.

I did that about a month ago and it hasn't spread any further. The edges of the crack are securely bonded and there is no vertical movement of the edges when pressed down.

I haven't noticed anymore cracks forming but if there are a few more, I'll go ahead and buy one of the molded dash covers and use the Loctite Plastic Bond Epoxy to fix it in place.

Does anyone know if they are still replacing the dashes under warranty? My Tahoe has 100,321 miles.

I think that they are helping out to some extent. I read somewhere that people have been able to get their dealerships to contact GM on their behalf. Some were successful and some were not. The dealerships are your best route as they have the connections with GM and the clout to be able to talk them into it. I bought mine with 180,000 miles on it and it already had the crack. I don't have a very good argument. That's why I haven't tried to get them to do anything for me. I don't know what I will do.

gmtk

Reaction score
Add me to the list. 2011 yukon with 102,*** on it. 4" crack over the speedo. Local shop wants $1200. GM fail.

Garryowen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Top of the day gmtk!

Sad to learn you're dealing with the same problem many more owners are enduring. Yes, I have an exceptional dealer in Days Chevrolet, Acworth, GA yet unfortunately this group is the exception.
If you've done any casual research on this situation you undoubtedly know by now that you and your fellow GM owners are bent over the proverbial "hitching rail" by GM and they're putting it to us all.

To illustrate: I found two notes in a matter of clicking "GM dashboard cracks" on google.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/top...n-your-gm-truck-cracked-new-lawsuit-launched/

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
9/9/2015

A newly filed lawsuit in Wisconsin says that GM knew it had a problem with cracking dashboards. ABC News has reported that the suit alleges GM tried to find a cause other than its manufacturing and materials to blame the problem on. GM is also not covering the repairs of trucks out of warranty since this is not a safety hazard. However, there are reports that GM dealerships are offering to pay half of the cost of repairs. We do not have that from GM directly.

https://fllegalgroup.com/news-article/gmc-dashboard-cracked/

Jan 13, 2016

GM offered to cover the estimated $1,082.78 repair of the cracked dashboard in Kyle Moncrief’s 2011 GMC Yukon Denali after the Tate County, Mississippi, resident reported the alleged defect to the WMC Action News 5 Investigators.

In a nutshell - we be screwed!

hillary will go to prison before GM ever accepts accountability for yours, mine and others issues with multi-thousand dollar cars whose dashboards crack because GM can't select a supplier (cheapest wins first) who will provide a durable product.

Otherwise, I hope you continue to enjoy your Yukon. After all, we could be driving Russian Ladas!

Good luck!

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Top of the day gmtk!

Sad to learn you're dealing with the same problem many more owners are enduring. Yes, I have an exceptional dealer in Days Chevrolet, Acworth, GA yet unfortunately this group is the exception.
If you've done any casual research on this situation you undoubtedly know by now that you and your fellow GM owners are bent over the proverbial "hitching rail" by GM and they're putting it to us all.

To illustrate: I found two notes in a matter of clicking "GM dashboard cracks" on google.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/top...n-your-gm-truck-cracked-new-lawsuit-launched/

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
9/9/2015

A newly filed lawsuit in Wisconsin says that GM knew it had a problem with cracking dashboards. ABC News has reported that the suit alleges GM tried to find a cause other than its manufacturing and materials to blame the problem on. GM is also not covering the repairs of trucks out of warranty since this is not a safety hazard. However, there are reports that GM dealerships are offering to pay half of the cost of repairs. We do not have that from GM directly.

https://fllegalgroup.com/news-article/gmc-dashboard-cracked/

Jan 13, 2016

GM offered to cover the estimated $1,082.78 repair of the cracked dashboard in Kyle Moncrief’s 2011 GMC Yukon Denali after the Tate County, Mississippi, resident reported the alleged defect to the WMC Action News 5 Investigators.

In a nutshell - we be screwed!

hillary will go to prison before GM ever accepts accountability for yours, mine and others issues with multi-thousand dollar cars whose dashboards crack because GM can't select a supplier (cheapest wins first) who will provide a durable product.

Otherwise, I hope you continue to enjoy your Yukon. After all, we could be driving Russian Ladas!

Good luck!

Betcha that LADA’s dash ain’t cracked tho

Garryowen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Agree - The odds are in your favor. When was the last time you saw a Lada? And then, was it running? I've not seen one since I lived in Stonehaven, Scotland in 1995. Cheers!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mine has a small crack as well, not that serious but if it ever gets worse I will put in a new one, it's not that difficult just have to be careful and it will take some time, I would recommend if anyone does there dash that you reinforce the known weak spots from underneath with strips of good plastic and epoxy before installing it otherwise its probably going to just crack again.

Polease

Reaction score
Mine was cracked when I bought it. I am not planning on fixing it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons