Front Dash Crack

Discussion in 'Interior' started by Bubba_A, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Galante

Galante Elite Member Supporting Member

Name:
    Pete
    Just curious, did you notice any difference in tge two materials..... did they change the type of material or mounting points beefed up any?

kwOH likes this.
  2. NathanJax

NathanJax Vacation Nathan Staff Member Supporting Member

Name:
    Nathan
    Nope. Everything looked and felt the same

Galante and kwOH like this.
  3. Kenny D

Kenny D Full Access Member

Name:
    Ken
    After watching the videos, it looks simpler than one would think. It just appears intimidating until you see it done. Looks like the old one fell apart on you pulling it out.

4. NathanJax

NathanJax Vacation Nathan Staff Member Supporting Member

Name:
    Nathan
    It was already apart on top, there was just 1 piece of plastic behind the gauge cluster holding it together. It was easier to just cut it and take it out in 2 pieces :D

5. tsuintx

tsuintx Full Access Member

Name:
    Tomi
    That's what I'm starting to think. And the price difference between the DashSkin and the GM part isn't that huge after all, so it might be worth spending the few extra bucks.

GMPartsDirect usually rapes you on shipping, though...

Galante likes this.
  6. JOAMON

JOAMON TYF Newbie

Name:
    WILLIAM
    "WOW" After reading this I went out and looked at my dash and it's cracked to. Mine Is cracked on the humped up part in front of the steering wheel, can't see it while in sitting in it. You have to lean up and look down on it. It's cracked up real bad and a small crack on the passenger side to. Mine is a 2010 and they haven't changed the design. SHOULD BE A RECALL BUT IT'S NOT BECAUSE THEY ONLY HAD 10,549 COMPLAINTS AND GENERAL MOTORS CLAIM IT HAS TO BE AT LEAST 15,000 COMPLAINTS WITHIN A CERTAIN TIME PERIOD TO GENERATE A RECALL. I DIDN'T SEE THE TIME PERIOD BUT IF I WERE A BETTING MAN I'D BET IT'S A SHORT ONE. ISN'T THAT A BUNCH OF BULL.

7. Super Kevin

Super Kevin TYF Newbie

Name:
    Kevin
    Where did you see this info?....How do we complain?....I will complain if I know how.

8. JOAMON

JOAMON TYF Newbie

Name:
    WILLIAM
    I googled tahoe dash cash crack recall and several sites popped up. One of them said about the petition. But it was closed. I/m sure it would be easy to find. Sorry I didn't remember the exact site name, but it should pop up.

9. Super Kevin

Super Kevin TYF Newbie

Name:
    Kevin
    I found a petition on change.org that said to complain to NHTSA about the problem. However, NHTSA is concerned mainly with safety hazards. Therefore, I doubt that is the correct route to go. Although, some people believe that this a safety hazard, GM does not agree with them. I agree that it isn't a safety hazard and I believe NHTSA would as well. It's just poor quality which GM SHOULD be concerned with but, apparently isn't.

10. wjoutlaw

wjoutlaw TYF Newbie

Name:
    William
    I have a 2008 Tahoe and there is a 6" crack on the hump by the steering wheel. I found an easy solution to mitigate how much it spreads.

When you first notice the crack find the very end of the crack and drill a small hole where it terminates. This relieves the stress on the crack and will stop it there. Then get Loctite Epoxy Plastic Bonder. It is a two part epoxy. Mix it thoroughly and work it into the crack then wipe off the excess with Alcohol, be careful to not get any in the crack. I applied a piece of clear packing tape over the crack when it was curing. The cure time for the epoxy says 20 min but I let it sit over night.

I did that about a month ago and it hasn't spread any further. The edges of the crack are securely bonded and there is no vertical movement of the edges when pressed down.

I haven't noticed anymore cracks forming but if there are a few more, I'll go ahead and buy one of the molded dash covers and use the Loctite Plastic Bond Epoxy to fix it in place.

Does anyone know if they are still replacing the dashes under warranty? My Tahoe has 100,321 miles.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    2011SSVHOE likes this.