Front Dash Crack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jetmech

Reaction score
Is resolution form dash cracks dealer specific? Our 2011 Tahoe hasn't been driven in 4 days. My wife left to take the kids to karate and there is a crack in front of the pass airbag area AND an 8" crack in the windshield starting at the top passenger side top corner going down to the center. Tahoe has a `80k miles on it and stays in the garage and we take good care of it. I was hoping we would avoid this issue but now we are victims, I'm pretty disappointed in this whole fiasco.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any good recommendations on a good cover. I really don't want to fight with a dealer on getting it replaced on mine, and it's not "awful" yet, but it's getting there. I've seen several mats that go over it, but I'd like one that is somewhat thin.

I've always used the Dash Mat brand but was told it would take 3-4 weeks so I bought one from RZ's Custom Covers and it is great. My dash has not started cracking yet, but I've NEVER had a GM vehicle that did not crack in 30 or so years of owning them.

Elmo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know this is an old post but I removed the front dash panel (closest to the windshield) in order to get access to the source of the cracks. There are three plastic mounts that break and become the source of the cracks on the bigger dash that surrounds the AC vents etc. . I used a soldering iron to plastic weld those pieces back together and also welded the cracks up until the point that they would be visible. The fine crack lines still exist but at least the dash is now solid and aligned.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gonna tackle putting in a new dash this week...

PdxHKCQ.jpg

YukonCrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interested to see that goes for you. Where did you buy form and price if you don't mind me asking.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interested to see that goes for you. Where did you buy form and price if you don't mind me asking.

Dealer although you can get it from www.gmpartsdirect.com as well just as cheap.

I did get both pieces because a lot of people break the front piece trying to get it off, and if I'm going to have a brand new whole dash, why not have that piece new as well...

I'm going to try to document the removal and installation.

kwOH

Banned
Reaction score
I swore i would never say this. Call in superstition or whatever. I have absolutely no cracks in either of my dashes, probably cuz we don't have nice weather here so no sun lol, i do try to use my sunshade things for prevention.

Sent from iPhone 7 plus using Tapatalk Pro

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Took 2 hours this morning, but that includes wiring up a USB outlet. Watched the video before hand for tips, and just a side note I do car audio/video so I'm comfortable doing stuff like this. It'll probably take most people a little longer...

rXGmKJM.jpg

xI9PQaV.jpg

mep80T3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh

Latest posts