Front Dash Crack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Parthery

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wonder how true them replacing it for 100 is. I called, they will be getting back with me. My father in law used to run the service department at the dealership I called, so they always hook it up.

PM me your email address and I'll send you a copy of the invoice. Nothing to hide.

oldtimer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Brian,
Is there a dealer code listed on the invoice?
If the service rep gives me a high quote, I want to be able to respond with an option they might consider.

Amanda4461

Reaction score
Oldtimer,
I'll see if I can upload my receipt from the dealer later tonight. [Invoices Attached] My 1st repair was at 53,095 miles on my 2010 Tahoe. Invoice reads:

Customer states dash is cracked around passenger airbag module.
REPLACED UPPER INSTRUMENT PANEL
NOTE: GM POLICY FOR CUSTOMER SATISFACTION. CUSTOMER TO PARTICIPATE IN REPAIR.
JOB #1 QTY.1
FP NUMBER 20959602
DESCRIPTION: PANEL 16.080 N
WARRANTY
JOB #1 TOTAL LABOR & PARTS 0.00

I had scheduled maintenance performed at the same time. The last page under Misc:
JOB #A SS SHOP SUPPLIES 22.83
JOB #1 CHEV CHEVROLET WARRANTY PAYS CONTROL NO. 518648-1 WARRANTY
JOB #1 CHVSP DEDUCTIBLE CONTROL NO. 518648-1 100.00
JOB #1 CL CUSTOMER LOYALTY DISCOUNT -22.83
TOTAL - MISC 100.00

This was crack #1 and New Dashboard #1 for only $100 after I was out of warranty in 2013 by mileage (barely). The second Dashboard I had replaced, I called the GM phone number as described in an earlier reply to this thread. Went to pick it up, and they had Warranty and $0 to be paid listed on the Invoice. I was surprised because I had talked to the shop manager and agreed to pay $300 for it the week prior to dropping it off. Went home, and waited. Sure enough, the shop manager called the next business day and asked for his agreed-upon $300. Went down and paid him, and decided to leave my sunroof cracked open during the summer Texas heat, just in case. My Tahoe is black all over and gets smoking hot in the summer. I suspect that GM has a design flaw that they don't wish to admit to, and should make these things whole for the $100 every time. I'll be happy if letting a lot of hot air escape from the sunroof keeps my new dash from cracking, but I'll also be surprised. I'll know by September.
Amanda

Attachments

• Tahoe Dashboard Crack Warranty 1st Time InvoiceCover.pdf
    310.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Tahoe Dashboard Crack Warranty 1st Time Invoice.pdf
    310.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

jjj333

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just for informational purposes - I got my dash replaced on my 2007 Tahoe (almost 9 years old now), with only 74K miles on it at my dealership in Burbank, CA for a $200 deductible. I first called the Chevy 800 number and was escalated to to customer relations supervisor pretty quickly, who pretty much told me that it is highly unlikely that they will cover any cost of it. I kept on him, insisting that folks are still getting assistance in cost for replacing the faulty product. He called my dealership and spoke with the service department and told me to take it by them for an evaluation.

I then spoke with my service advisor. He said that they used to have a program for replacement, but it has since expired. With that old program, it was always a $200 deductible. Since the program doesn't even exist anymore, my service rep got with his managers and then they talked to the GM rep who was coming by the dealership that week. They ended up approving it for the $200 deductible. I presented them with the receipts that Amanda4461 uploaded (thanks for doing that!) and also the one that Parthery emailed me (Thanks again for that!), but to no avail. So I ended up paying $200. Not a bad deal for a 9 year old car, since I understand the cost out of pocket would have been around $1K.

Just wanted to let everyone know who may still be dealing with trying to get assistance from GM to cover the cost of the replacement.

Amanda4461

Reaction score
jjj333,
You did ok. The secret is the Service Manager here also. The GM 800 number folks called my guy who runs the Service Shop, and he agreed to do the second dashboard for $300 only because I bought the Tahoe new from his dealership. It helped that he lives a few doors down and sees my Tahoe every day. He also said it would normally cost me over $1,000 to do a dashboard at the dealership. GM knows this is a problem, and doesn't give a damn. Probably why I have a new BMW X-5 in my driveway instead of a new Tahoe.

TahoeTX

Reaction score
I had the dash on my 09 Tahoe replaced a couple weeks ago. Runs $1024 with parts and labor. Ridiculous!

YukonCrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I received a recall notice in the mail last week for front airbags. Now I wonder if they have to remove the dashboard at all to replace the passenger airbag. My dash is cracked in two places now around the passenger airbag. Maybe it will be a good time do push for a discounted dash replacement while airbag is being replaced?

okfoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or just tell them not to break the dash more than it is, and if they do, they owe you another dash.

Govtahoe

Reaction score
I received a recall notice in the mail last week for front airbags. Now I wonder if they have to remove the dashboard at all to replace the passenger airbag. My dash is cracked in two places now around the passenger airbag. Maybe it will be a good time do push for a discounted dash replacement while airbag is being replaced?

I got the notice over a week ago. Said I would be contacted soon. Still haven't heard a thing. I was planning on pushing for a new dash too. Especially if they break it more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk