Front Bumper / Grill Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dan Acosta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking to do the HD grill. So I have been observing some for the bumper options, and have a few questions.

Do I have to use the 99-02 HD bumper cap? Or can I use the later 03-07 Cap as it is similarly shaped with the dip in the center. I only ask because they can easily be sourced from the junkyard, while the used HD stuff is like a unicorn.

Also, I was looking at the Yukon/Denali bumpers and caps and they have the same shape withe the center dip, can they be used as well? These have an interesting look the way the cap and chrome bumper appear molded together in a different way. These are also quite plentiful in the junkyards.

I am sure someone has tried or mentioned these before, but I haven't found pics or links.

Thanks

02_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking to do the HD grill. So I have been observing some for the bumper options, and have a few questions.

Do I have to use the 99-02 HD bumper cap? Or can I use the later 03-07 Cap as it is similarly shaped with the dip in the center. I only ask because they can easily be sourced from the junkyard, while the used HD stuff is like a unicorn.

Also, I was looking at the Yukon/Denali bumpers and caps and they have the same shape withe the center dip, can they be used as well? These have an interesting look the way the cap and chrome bumper appear molded together in a different way. These are also quite plentiful in the junkyards.

I am sure someone has tried or mentioned these before, but I haven't found pics or links.

Thanks
It's more than just the cap, you have to cut the bumper mounts and weld the bumper back to the frame about 2" lower in order to fit the cap. It's much more work than you think. I wanted to do the same thing till I saw what I had to do

W8TVI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is my 2000 Yukon XL, it has the dip:
20170327_192715.jpg
The Yukon Denali (And the C3 Sierra) has a gentle dip:
15633855_large.jpg
Here is an '03 Silverado HD:
2003-silverado-2500hd.jpg

And an '03 Sierra HD:
1101dp_06_o+1101dp_2003_gmc_sierra_2500hd_600hp_work_truck+front_shot.jpg
And here is an '01 Sierra HD:
user41818_pic3793_1304988883.jpg

This is the '01 Silverado HD:
pokk9vy.jpg

It looks like the '02 and before GMC and Chevy trucks shared the same bumper, but after '02 they don't.

If you are talking about your 2005 Tahoe, I think whatever HD grille you pick will require an entirely new bumper.
The HD bumpers tend to include vent holes in them from what I can tell, and I'm not sure about the actual metal bumper would match up with the cap.

I think from the looks of things, the 2005 Tahoe bumper might be most like the '99-02 GMC bumper, but I'm not sure about where the cap clips to the bumper.

If you could give us some more information on what truck you are starting with and where you want to end up, that would be very helpful :D

One thing I do know, if you are going to do HD anything to a Tahoe, you got to do the HD hood!
They look awesome!

jarydM

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
There has been a few members of the Forum that have done this exact mod @blurred and a few others (although I can't find their names right now)

I had thought it was an easier swap than cutting and welding frame.

Fleetgeo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want that lower valence grill on that black Denali

OP
OP
D

Dan Acosta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 05 tahoe with a stock bumper. I was hoping to source some parts from the junkyard. I like the Yukon front bumper with the dip. It was nice to see a pic of the hd grill on the tahoe with the HD GMC bumper. I may prefer the std GMC bumper with the HD grill. I was also wondering if the later (03-on) silverado bumper cap combo would work. It also has the dip in it. I assume I will have to re-mount whichever bumper there is, so I guess it just depends on the size and shape of the dip in the bumper. If the 03-on silverado would work, you could also get away with the "SS" bumper cap that would also have the dip in it. Maybe the sides of the bumper are too long on the 03-on silverado as the grill/headlights does not wrap the sides as much as a 05 tahoe?

MadDogDelpho

Texcellent
Reaction score
I think the Silverado bumper wouldn't work because of the headlights. The bottom marker lights on the Tahoe dip below the edge of the fender, while on the Silverado they're flush.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts