Free Travel Mod How To Guide

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

charlie4170

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You all have helped me a lot with my 2006 Yukon Denali and I hope I can start to give back now. I am doing a major suspension upgrade with Wilwood Big Brakes, Bilstein shocks, NorCalSS Tony's 3-5/6 drop kit, and some other upgrades. When I finish I will do a whole build thread with pns, etc, but right now I am just doing the Free Travel Mod. I haven't found a really clear guide showing what to cut - and this is definitely something I only want to cut once...

Is this the correct piece to cut off? Do you cut the entire thing front to back below the frame rail, or just a section of it? Any advice on modding the bumpstop? Ill post before, during, and after pics once I figure it all out.

Attachments

• Free Travel Mod What to Cut.jpg
    Free Travel Mod What to Cut.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 574

Knobz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup. And then grind the rest so you do t slice your tires or your hand or something crazy ha

And then install some 3/4" pancake bumpstops. I drilled and tapped a hole for mine and then threaded them in.

digitalfiend

Expert Overthinker
Reaction score
You all have helped me a lot with my 2006 Yukon Denali and I hope I can start to give back now. I am doing a major suspension upgrade with Wilwood Big Brakes, Bilstein shocks, NorCalSS Tony's 3-5/6 drop kit, and some other upgrades. When I finish I will do a whole build thread with pns, etc, but right now I am just doing the Free Travel Mod. I haven't found a really clear guide showing what to cut - and this is definitely something I only want to cut once...

I'd like to do a big brake upgrade, but the price of parts completely blows my mind. Where did you get the brakes and how much did they run you?

Is this the correct piece to cut off? Do you cut the entire thing front to back below the frame rail, or just a section of it? Any advice on modding the bumpstop? Ill post before, during, and after pics once I figure it all out.

Like Knobz says, you got the part right. When I did my free travel mod I pulled off my wheels and put the rear of my Tahoe on jack stands...just like the way it looks in your picture. I used a combination of a sawzall and a rotary grinder. The passenger side is pretty easy. The driver side requires care since the gas tank is right there. As long as you look over the area well and take your time you'll be fine. Good luck!

OP
OP
charlie4170

charlie4170

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Where did you get the brakes and how much did they run you?

They were a big purchase, but I just got them from Summit. Expensive, but no shipping and handling is nice. Fronts are WIL-140-8992-D (16 inch rotors) and cost $1,999. Rears are WIL-140-9838-D (14 inch rotor) and const $1,849. I'll let you know if it was worth it when I am done.

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yes I use a sawzall cut below frame and good to go. The bumpstops I ship with the kit fit thru the oem hole thats on the axle pad

digitalfiend

Expert Overthinker
Reaction score
Where did you get the brakes and how much did they run you?

They were a big purchase, but I just got them from Summit. Expensive, but no shipping and handling is nice. Fronts are WIL-140-8992-D (16 inch rotors) and cost $1,999. Rears are WIL-140-9838-D (14 inch rotor) and const $1,849. I'll let you know if it was worth it when I am done.

Pricey, but I'm sure it'll be worth it. Pardon the pun...but that's a good investment that'll get you nowhere fast. ;)

What plans do you have that you're upgrading the brakes for? You going to be doing some autocrossing or drag racing?

OP
OP
charlie4170

charlie4170

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What plans do you have that you're upgrading the brakes for? You going to be doing some autocrossing or drag racing?

Maybe down the road. Right now just want the yukon acting like a Corvette :happy107:. Eventually I'll be building up the driveline and want the brakes to handle it.

OP
OP
charlie4170

charlie4170

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Last night I did the Free Travel Mod. Attached are two photos with the bracket cut, and one showing why its necessary. I pulled the wheels off and used a Sawzall - worked great. I was originally hoping to do it before pulling the springs, but they started to interfere with the blade, so I ended up removing them half way through. Everyone who warned about getting close to the gas tank is very wise - there is not much room to spare when cutting the drivers side.

Hope the photos help the next guy wanting to do the mod.

Attachments

• Free Travel Mod Bracket Cut.jpg
    Free Travel Mod Bracket Cut.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 605
  • Free Travel Mod Below Frame.jpg
    Free Travel Mod Below Frame.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 601
  • Free Travel Mod Near curb height.jpg
    Free Travel Mod Near curb height.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 581

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any blade recommendations for the saws all tony? Length, brand, tooth?

Lentsnh2012

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any blade recommendations for the saws all tony? Length, brand, tooth?

Obviously don't get a blade for wood cutting, but I just picked up some Milwaukee heavy duty blades.

Be careful because the blade gets pitched a lot. Cut it at an angle and have a 8" or longer blade. A 6" blade is just too short to cut the bracket sides at the same time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu