Fosscore's 2013 Suburban LTZ Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last Friday, the wife gets in the truck and it wouldn't start. Now going form her description, there were no power running boards, no DIC lights, no click, no turnover, etc....

I came home, jumped it and drove down to O'reily's to have the battery and alternator tested. Both came back with good results. Not to say the battery is not on its way out, but I could not replicate the issue and never had an issue with the starter either. Hmmmm....

It ran fine the rest of the day and started up each of the next few days as well. I guess I will monitor and see if it presents an issue moving forward either with the battery or starter. Any further ideas, please advise.

Gave the truck a wipe down with Lucas Oil Slick Mist and shined up the tires. Took a few photos just because.

IMG_7814.jpg IMG_7815.jpg IMG_7921.jpg

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Last Friday, the wife gets in the truck and it wouldn't start. Now going form her description, there were no power running boards, no DIC lights, no click, no turnover, etc....

I came home, jumped it and drove down to O'reily's to have the battery and alternator tested. Both came back with good results. Not to say the battery is not on its way out, but I could not replicate the issue and never had an issue with the starter either. Hmmmm....

It ran fine the rest of the day and started up each of the next few days as well. I guess I will monitor and see if it presents an issue moving forward either with the battery or starter. Any further ideas, please advise.

Gave the truck a wipe down with Lucas Oil Slick Mist and shined up the tires. Took a few photos just because.

View attachment 186095 View attachment 186096 View attachment 186097
Maybe she left something on that drained the battery? Dome light maybe?

OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
She have many keys on the ring? Maybe ignition switch?

Ignition and house key, fob and membership card.

Maybe she left something on that drained the battery? Dome light maybe?

That was my thinking too.
All interior lights are LED. That dome light ALL ON knob can get twisted ON if it is not pushed in, but not sure.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Ignition and house key, fob and membership card.

That was my thinking too.
All interior lights are LED. That dome light ALL ON knob can get twisted ON if it is not pushed in, but not sure.
I'm sure you know that led's don't use as much power as the regular halogens do. My gf left a dome light(led) on all day into the night and it started right up with no issues. Something to think about.

OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you know that led's don't use as much power as the regular halogens do. My gf left a dome light(led) on all day into the night and it started right up with no issues. Something to think about.

Yes you are correct. Think we’ve had this very scenario played out before overnight and it started right up as well. The pull out knob got turned on and left on.

Hence one of the reasons I put the LEDs in and the super bright output.

The battery tested at 12.7V at the shop and the dash reads right around the 14 mark when running. I thought for sure it would be dead this weekend or today, but it started up. Just have to keep watching and wait for the “It won’t start call.”

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes you are correct. Think we’ve had this very scenario played out before overnight and it started right up as well. The pull out knob got turned on and left on.

Hence one of the reasons I put the LEDs in and the super bright output.

The battery tested at 12.7V at the shop and the dash reads right around the 14 mark when running. I thought for sure it would be dead this weekend or today, but it started up. Just have to keep watching and wait for the “It won’t start call.”
But the newer ones have the automatic shutoff voltage thing just for that reason. So even if you leave a dome light on it cuts power when battery voltage drops so you can start it in the morning....so maybe your battery is shot foss...believe me, my kids leave tge lights onbin tge back all the time, then when you get in there are no lights on and as soon as you key on they go on...ask me how i know....

OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But the newer ones have the automatic shutoff voltage thing just for that reason. So even if you leave a dome light on it cuts power when battery voltage drops so you can start it in the morning....so maybe your battery is shot foss...believe me, my kids leave tge lights onbin tge back all the time, then when you get in there are no lights on and as soon as you key on they go on...ask me how i know....

Truth with the kids leaving the lights on. House too....grrr.

The battery is an AC Delco that looks to be OEM. Issued 2013 and here we are 4-5 years later and with the Florida heat. No surprise. Will see what happens next and plan to drop a new battery in. I think it has 665 CCAs.

I had a quick look at Advanced, O'Reilys, AutoZone and Interstate just to compare prices and specs. I know not rocket science, but interested to see what input you might have regarding brand and CCAs to go with for the change out. Good info for anybody really, especially with you guys heading into winter as well. 3 year warranties are a winner as well.