Fosscore's 2013 Suburban LTZ Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mmeachem

Reaction score
Do you guys have yearly vehicle inspections there? We have inspection every 2 yrs in NJ, so you'd have to Peel off the tint every 2 yrs just to change the sticker.
Guy at the inspection place in Secaucus told me if you have a cutout for it (inspection sticker) you’re good. Could just be that location or him though.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Guy at the inspection place in Secaucus told me if you have a cutout for it (inspection sticker) you’re good. Could just be that location or him though.
I used to do inspections in Eatontown. As long as your check engine light isn't on, you pass. Smashed windshield, no brake lights, no brakes--doesn't matter, as long as your check engine light isn't on, you pass. Might've been just the inspector. I don't think the manager would give permission to do that.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I used to do inspections in Eatontown. As long as your check engine light isn't on, you pass. Smashed windshield, no brake lights, no brakes--doesn't matter, as long as your check engine light isn't on, you pass. Might've been just the inspector. I don't think the manager would give permission to do that.

That's pretty much how ours is. They plug in, and run it on the "dyno"... CEL off, all but 1 system showing ready (doesn't matter which one) = pass. No open hood, no tint check, no visual, no nothing. Gotta do it every 2 years. This is the genius they call the Illinois Air team.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Washed the truck with my boy (he was a great helper and I really appreciated the time together hanging out). Then I put a coat of Collinite’s 845 Insulator Wax on.

View attachment 184602
That grille almost like gloss black from that angle. I think it should become gloss black in the near future:hmm:

Last edited:

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The vehicle scrutiny for state inspections must vary by state and county, since ours in Northern VA are pretty serious and in-depth. Emissions are checked at least every other year in certain counties, too.

OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tackled two projects today.

1. I wanted to try the Scrubbing Bubbles trick after reading about it on the TYF and other forums with pretty good reviews. I gave the drivers seat, center console and steering wheel the treatment to get rid of the dirt. Then I wiped them down with a damp microfiber to get ride of the cleaner and gave it some nourishment with 2 coats of Collinite's No. 855 Leather & Vinyl Wax. The dirt on the green microfiber is the proof and that is both sides. Sometimes it's hard to tell how much ground in dirt there actually is. I need to hit the other seats and that seat belt as well.

IMG_7345.jpg

2. Dealt with the rear bumper scuffs from my mechanic today as well.

I hit the scuffs with some 3M Perfect-It 06085 Rubbing Compound first to remove some of the color transfer. This compound is pretty gentle, but gets the job done. There were 3 small spots that had dented/marred slightly through the paint and into the black plastic of the bumper.

I decided to go ahead and 600 grit sand, prime, top coat and clear coat those spots to get rid of the black marks. I probably took more time and effort than the spots were worth, but then the truck was only out of action for the morning and they are now color matched.

There are still slight indentations and I need to wet sand the tape lines after the paint has cured. Once I sand out the tape edges, it should blend in better. Even though I used fine line tape there was build up from 3 coats each of primer, the base and ground coats for WDT and 3 coats of clear.

To my eyes, it is not perfect, but I can live with it and the average person will never notice it as it is below eye level, below the chrome strip and the cut line is on the angle of the bumper. Much better than the black marks and no cost to me or my mechanic. Maybe I'll hit him up for a balance and rotate on the Tahoe. :)

3 small, dented black spots.
IMG_7342.jpg
Primer getting started before base and ground coats.
IMG_7343.jpg

Need to sand out tape lines and polish, but it is color matched.
IMG_7348.jpg

From 3-4 feet away and the chrome and angles will distract.
IMG_7347.jpg