Fosscore's 2013 Suburban LTZ Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kwOH

Banned
Reaction score
18000 miles

Put some OEM chrome tow hooks on to fill in those open slots on the front bumper.
I found them brand new on eBay for $50 plus some shipping. These are universal for
07-14 GM SUVs and you will see a few different part numbers such as the following:
Interchange Part Number: 19158571, 19243784, 22858898.

You can see below what comes in the box of parts to compare if you are looking.
The frame is already pre-drilled for installation and mine fit perfectly. The bolts pushed right through with the small bolt threading directly into the hook and the long bolt pushing through the frame and tow hook and secured on the other side of the frame with the nut. I am surprised the LTZ did not come with them at delivery.

Not rocket science to install, but I figured I would put some detail down anyways. It is close quarters under there for tightening the bolts, especially if you have large hands. The drivers side makes it very easy to get both bolts tight with a combination of two 18mm ratchets and/or wrenches. You can reach the secondary nut for the long bolt without too much hassle to the outside of the frame.

The passengers side, however presents an issue as the shorter bolt that threads into the actual tow hook does not have much room to work with. Optimally you need to install the shorter threaded bolt on the passengers side first so that it can be tightened completely first before you install the longer bolt. Otherwise there is no direct access to the short bolt head to give it a good last crank into the tow hook due to the limited space. Had GM drilled it the same as they did with the drivers side, this would not have been an issue.

I'm happy with the install as it completed the front end look by filling in those open holes. Too bad that front lower part of the bumper between the tow hooks is not smooth. We don't require front plates in Florida and that would look better without the plate indentation. Just saying.

There is a little bit of surface rust on the ends of the frame which is inevitable as I live near the ocean. The rest of the underbody and gear under there is still coated in the sticky black factory goop and looks like it just came off the dealership lot. Pretty happy with that fact.

Parts out of the box.
View attachment 71932

Driver's side installed.
View attachment 71934

Passenger's side installed.
View attachment 71935

Sunset shot after installation.
View attachment 71933

Morning shot with more light.
View attachment 71936
Going to tackle this soon, sounds like a little bit of a pita. Little details=little tedious BS lol. I knew you would have some info on this in your build thread, thanks for the tips as always.

Sent from iPhone 7 plus using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yessir. Glad to help out and that's why I spend the time doing the write ups. :thumbsup:

W8TVI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thx man. I was pretty stoked that they were in that good of condition.
Man, those Esky roof racks look so sharp on both your trucks... I really want a set for my XL.

I got a line on a set for $75 from our local salvage yard, that I'm waiting on hearing back on... maybe I'll get lucky.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Man, those Esky roof racks look so sharp on both your trucks... I really want a set for my XL.

I got a line on a set for $75 from our local salvage yard, that I'm waiting on hearing back on... maybe I'll get lucky.
Damn that's a crazy good price . Make sure it comes with everything

W8TVI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn that's a crazy good price . Make sure it comes with everything
I did ask that in my email to them.
The farther I get in this build thread, the more I am certan that I NEED Esky roof rails on my truck.

@Fosscore, what have you done?! :p:D

No reason really other than my 06 Tahoe is Black Bear tuned for 93 so I figured I would fill up with it for the road trip and note the parameters of my road trip/mpg results in case someone wanted to know. Normally we just put mid grade in around town. I guess the debate on whether it makes a difference between 87 and 93 is the question. It comes up on the forum often and there is a thread or two on here about it. :)

Way back when gas was a lot cheaper, I tried a tank of each of 87, 89, 91, 92, and 93 in my '91 GMC S15 Jimmy.
The thing seemed to have a little bit more pep with 89, but going with anything higher than that didn't improve anything.
I also got about 2 extra MPG with the 89, but again, didn't get anything better going higher.
With the price of gas now, I'm not trying that experiment with a 30+ gallon tank in a 13mpg truck.

I needed some brighter LED reverse lights. The ones I had in there were good, but I wanted brighter, like those 1200 lumen JDM Astars I just put in the NBS. I originally ordered the 3157s, but they didn't fit the NNBS socket.

It calls for a 7441 bulb which must be just that extra bit skinnier and allows the wedge to sit further down in the socket and make contact, whereas the 3157 bulb did not sit deep enough to trigger the lights.

Nonetheless, I had success in installing these new LED bulbs and they are super bright.

They are made by Bulbeats 1200 lumen 144 chipset projector bulbs. Here is the link to Amazon for $17.
https://www.amazon.com/Bulbeats-Lum...6780&sr=8-1&keywords=bulbeats+1200+lumen+7441

View attachment 76975

View attachment 76976

Left new LED vs right old LED.
View attachment 76977

Both new projector LEDs.
View attachment 76978

Checking illumination behind the Suburban.
View attachment 76979

I was looking at the available LED tail lights for a '13 truck like yours, and I am envious with all the options you have available to you.
Do you plan on getting LED tails for the Suburban?

Last edited:

kwOH

Banned
Reaction score

Cant pass that up, thats how much i got mine for.

Sent from iPhone 7 plus using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did ask that in my email to them.
The farther I get in this build thread, the more I am certan that I NEED Esky roof rails on my truck.

@Fosscore, what have you done?! :p:D

Way back when gas was a lot cheaper, I tried a tank of each of 87, 89, 91, 92, and 93 in my '91 GMC S15 Jimmy.
The thing seemed to have a little bit more pep with 89, but going with anything higher than that didn't improve anything.
I also got about 2 extra MPG with the 89, but again, didn't get anything better going higher.
With the price of gas now, I'm not trying that experiment with a 30+ gallon tank in a 13mpg truck.

I was looking at the available LED tail lights for a '13 truck like yours, and I am envious with all the options you have available to you. Do you plan on getting LED tails for the Suburban?

That is a great deal on an XL Esky rack if you can get it. Going price is usually $200+. Even if you only get the rails and mounting hardware at that price, it might be worth considering.

The end cap mounting bolts are the same as what you already have for your OEM rack. The Esky rack also has 2 center mounting posts/bolts that allow the center of the rack to slide onto and secure itself more tightly to the roof of the truck in that center section, otherwise it has a tendency to not sit flush. The mounting hole is already there from the OEM rack, but you cannot screw that bolt down from the top due to the nature of the Esky rack being continuous front to back.

I cannot recall why I went with 93 Octane for the BB Tune. I know the octane/performance/price debate is for another thread.

There are lots of great LED tail lights out there. Just need to pick one. The G4s are always a win.
@W8TVI

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you polished your wheels, how did you get through the factory clear coat on them?

OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you polished your wheels, how did you get through the factory clear coat on them?
@Kenny D

Was this meant for me? I haven't polished out the wheels on either of my Chevys. If you are referring to a wheel polishing post I might have made, I probably was just referencing cleaning (polishing) my wheels out with some NevrDull as it is pretty gentle and won't harm the wheels.

Last edited:

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, they just looked so shiny that it looked like you may have hit them with a buffer to a mirror shine. I just assumed you stripped and polished the aluminum.