Fog light and head light issues.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crcz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey fellas need some input from you guys on a light issue. Walked outside this evening to see my fog lights were on but barely the vehicle not on and not running. They are led pods that I have wired with a factory pig tail so I didn't have to cut and splice the factory wiring. I installed them back in November of last year. I have had zero issues. When I looked to make sure my head light switch wasn't on and it wasn't. I noticed the indicator light for the fog lights was on. I started the Tahoe turned all the lights on then off and everything was fine except the indicator light. I checked to see of the fog lights were off and they were. Got back in pulled the switch out for the fogs and unplugged it. Got out and fogs are on but barely once again. I pulled the relay and the fuse out for them and they didn't go off. I unplugged the lights and moved it away from the house in case there's an issue and it catches on fire while we are asleep tonight. Get out start to walk away and the headlights come on flicker and go out. So I disconnected the battery. Is there an issue with the headlight switch since they have to be on for the fog lights to work? The only thing I have done recently is upgraded from a 130 amp alternator to a 145 due to audio system and I'm installing factory electric fans next weekend. Any help would be great before I start tearing things apart to find out what it is.

Archer04

Reaction score
Head lights do not have be on to run the fog lamps. They will come on simply by pushing in the button for the fog lights on the dash. If you are seeing a very small amount of light coming from the fog lamps even with the relay and fuse pulled it sounds more like you may have a short in the wiring up to the fog lamps, and there is a small amount of constant current. May want to try and perform and parasitic drain test on the vehicle and see if you can find where the drain or constant power is coming from. It may be the upgrade of the alternator is causing a small short in the vehicle. I would start there, I know I had to do a parasitic drain test on my tahoe shortly after I picked her up, because if the door was open more then 10 minutes with out disconnecting the battery I had enough of a drain to cause the truck to be unable to start. Since I fixed that issue I haven't had any issues with power draws when the vehicle is off.

W8TVI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Head lights do not have be on to run the fog lamps. They will come on simply by pushing in the button for the fog lights on the dash. If you are seeing a very small amount of light coming from the fog lamps even with the relay and fuse pulled it sounds more like you may have a short in the wiring up to the fog lamps, and there is a small amount of constant current. May want to try and perform and parasitic drain test on the vehicle and see if you can find where the drain or constant power is coming from. It may be the upgrade of the alternator is causing a small short in the vehicle. I would start there, I know I had to do a parasitic drain test on my tahoe shortly after I picked her up, because if the door was open more then 10 minutes with out disconnecting the battery I had enough of a drain to cause the truck to be unable to start. Since I fixed that issue I haven't had any issues with power draws when the vehicle is off.

My 2000 Yukon XL will not let me turn on the fog lights without the parking lights on (or the low beams).

OP
OP
Crcz71

Crcz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine will not work either without the headlights or park lights being on. I picked up another switch for the headlights gonna try that and see

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crcz71

Crcz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well headlight switch seems to been the culprit put new one in and all lights work as they should.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2000 Yukon XL will not let me turn on the fog lights without the parking lights on (or the low beams).

Mine will not work either without the headlights or park lights being on. I picked up another switch for the headlights gonna try that and see
Must have been a wiring change between the 00-02 and the 03-06 nbs trucks. In my 2006, fog lights will come on anytime I hit the button. Regardless if the headlights or running light are on or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01