Floor Liners Comparison w/ Pics, WeatherTech vs. Rugged Ridge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen the debate between WeatherTech and Husky floor liners discussed in many threads on the TYF.

I wanted to put this thread together to show another option for other guys looking at floor liners and to get some input from the TYF as well.

I really wanted to try the Husky Liners, however they only make the Heavy Duty and Classic version for the NBS. They do not offer the X-act Contour or WeatherBeater that the NNBS guys debate about. So that comparison does not exist herein, and the coverage from those above mentioned models is about the same as my OEM mats.

So I decided to go a different direction and try something different for my 2006 Tahoe. I wanted to see the Rugged Ridge vs. WeatherTech in my truck for myself to see what the WeatherTech raves were about. I couldn't find anything on TYF about Rugged Ridge, although the reviews online were very positive. So I pulled the trigger and ordered both to see what they actually looked like installed and my thoughts follow.

I ordered the front floor liners and one-piece rear seat floor liners from Auto Anything. Prices are shipped and were at my door within 3 days. Always a winner with them. Color for both options is black.

Rugged Ridge All Terrain Floor Mats
Front and 2nd Row Set - 3-Piece Set
2006 Chevy Tahoe
(All Tahoe models)
Part #: 82989.02
$164.99 (with discount savings down to $131.99)

WeatherTech Extreme-Duty DigitalFit Floor Liners
Front and 2nd Row Set
2006 Chevy Tahoe
(All Tahoe models)
Part #: 440031/440032
$197.90 (no discounts apply)

The Rugged Ridge floor liners have a softer rubbery feel to them, good nibs on the back to hold them in place, deep channels under the chevron treads to collect dirt, water, etc... The outer edge goes over the door kick plate where it meets the carpet. There is a slight 1 inch ridge at that meeting point, which could be a slight catch point if you drag your feet out of the truck. I tried them for a few days and didn't find too much problem. The fit for the front seats is very nice. They still need to settle a bit in the heat, but they do not move around. It is a different tread pattern not seen on the WeatherTechs or Huskys, but I kind of like it. Looks a bit 4x4 (they do focus on Jeeps a lot in their catalog), but also looks a bit classy. Maybe not as polished as the WeatherTechs straight lines, but a softer feel and interesting different tread pattern.

The back seat 1-piece over-the-transmission hump does not really fit very well IMO. I cannot get it to settle down. Even in the heat it won't relax. The mats in front of the back seats do mimic the front seat mats and extend over the door kick plate with raised edges to catch anything. They do sell the individual liners to make it a four piece set that may be worth checking out to eliminate that transmission hump issue noted above.

On to the WeatherTechs. As soon as I pulled them out of the box, I just did not like the feel, no nibs, and the fit on my truck is just meh.... Disappointed. See the pics where it is not flush with the door kick plate. Even in other spots the liners are a bit stiff and don't really hug the contours of the seating area. They do look nice installed, but they just kind of sit there. We all strive for perfection with our trucks and a 1 inch gap in a floor liner or a loose fit is enough to drive you crazy. I know I am not alone in that category when it comes to my truck.

The back seat 1-piece fitment is worse than the Rugged Ridge. It didn't hug the center hump and the seat liners just looked out of place, not really fitting anything. Again this is my truck, but I don't think they fit very well in any spot. I only left the liners in there long enough to snap pictures to share here.

I'm pretty sure the WeatherTechs will get returned and the back seat
1-piece Rugged Ridge liner will get returned in favor of the individual back seat liners.

Thanks for reading. Let me know what you guys think. Input welcomed.

Attachments

• IMG_1572.JPG
    IMG_1572.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_1573.JPG
    IMG_1573.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_1574.JPG
    IMG_1574.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_1575.JPG
    IMG_1575.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_1576.JPG
    IMG_1576.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 166
OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are the Rugged Ridge liners installed. Don't mind that well worn drivers seat. It is getting new leather next week.

Attachments

• IMG_1578.JPG
    IMG_1578.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_1579.JPG
    IMG_1579.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_1580.JPG
    IMG_1580.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_1581.JPG
    IMG_1581.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_1582.JPG
    IMG_1582.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 155
OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front and back looks at the WeatherTechs and the Rugged Ridge liners. Tread patterns, nibs and no nibs. The WeatherTech covers the foot rest on the drivers side while the Rugged Ridge does not.

The rear seat liners of both. The WeatherTech does not even lay down over that curve to the door kick plate. Neither single piece fit the transmission hump very well.

Likely the individual liners would be a better option.

FullSizeRender copy.jpg FullSizeRender-1.jpg IMG_1588.jpg IMG_1592.JPG

OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The digital fit ones fit like crap according to your pics.....the rugged ridge looks a tire tread pattern.....not a fan of either.

I went with these and the fitment is great-I did all 3 rows as well.

http://www.weathertech.com/gmc/2006/yukon/floor-mats-all-weather/

OHSIXX always good for an honest opinion. Thx. Yes the digital fit ....don't fit. Go figure and for $200 I would have expected perfection. Rugged Ridge tire tread was my first thought too. Not ruling them out totally yet as they do fit better than the WTs I looked at your link. They look good. You have an installed pic in your Denali by chance for reference? Did you do 3rd row front of the seats or entire cargo liner? Thx man.

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 PM ----------

I've got the rugged ridge as well. They work and fit fantastic.

Thx your input. Still weighing options.

OHSIXX

Supporting Member
Reaction score
OHSIXX always good for an honest opinion. Thx. Yes the digital fit ....don't fit. Go figure and for $200 I would have expected perfection. Rugged Ridge tire tread was my first thought too. Not ruling them out totally yet as they do fit better than the WTs I looked at your link. They look good. You have an installed pic in your Denali by chance for reference? Did you do 3rd row front of the seats or entire cargo liner? Thx man.

Yeah for the money I'd expect those digifit ones to fit like a glove and not bulge up in spots. I do the 3rd row in front of the seats and not the cargo liner. I'll grab some pics today for ya.....

CREGAN

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the set of Rugged Ridge mats (fronts and rear). I have found they work really well and the tire tread pattern works very well at keeping my pants out of the snow or slush. Problem I am running into with them is that the Rugged Ridge decal and the way it is attached lets water get through the holes and it is rusting on the bottom. Minor but I am going to clean them up good and silicone it from the bottom so that it doesn't leak.

Craig

OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the set of Rugged Ridge mats (fronts and rear). I have found they work really well and the tire tread pattern works very well at keeping my pants out of the snow or slush. Problem I am running into with them is that the Rugged Ridge decal and the way it is attached lets water get through the holes and it is rusting on the bottom. Minor but I am going to clean them up good and silicone it from the bottom so that it doesn't leak.

Craig

I did see that issue in the reviews and that silly metal ring in the back to hold them on. Be better if they just imprinted it into the mat itself. That silicone should do the trick.

---------- Post added at 02:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 PM ----------

The Rugged Ridge looks great. I may even order a set. Would like to know how the 4 piece set fits in the 2nd row.

Still contemplating what to do. The WTs are definitely going back tho.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu