First trip into the woods... Gonna need some changes.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Idaho45guy

Reaction score
Beautiful spring day in Northern Idaho so I decided to head into the woods to see if I could find some morel mushrooms. It's a bit early, but I thought I'd take a look anyway.

The spot I go to I have been a few times in my pickup and have never had to use 4wd or had any issues. It's a mild logging road and I've seen Subarus up there.

Was a bit too much for the Yukon. Bottomed out a couple of times and scraped the front air dam a bunch. Had to use 4wd once.

Probably going to have to remove that air dam, crank the torsion bar at least an inch, and with the extra inch of the tire height, it should help out quite a bit.

I really wish there were some decently priced front bumper options for these rigs. Do I have to buy a bumper specific for the Yukon, or does a Tahoe/pickup bumper work?

Will have to just get used to the limitations of it compared to my pickup.

Oh, and it was too early for morels; only a couple tiny ones were out.

Pics from the day...

IMG_20180425_123238698_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180425_124229766_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180425_150242449.jpg

IMG_20180425_125029831.jpg

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 2009 owner's manual says to take the air dam off to increase ground clearance but to more closely monitor the engine temperature while doing so.

OP
OP
Idaho45guy

Idaho45guy

Reaction score
Every mod I did to my Ram worked great to enhance it's capability off-road. Trying to make the same changes to the "new" Yukon. I'm shocked at the lack of aftermarket support for the Yukon and Tahoes. They made a million or so of them, you would think there would be more cool parts available. I would love to add some fender flares to the Yukon, but apparently you have to cut up ones ordered for a Suburban to get them to work. Weird.

Etraeger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We take our '16 into the mountains all the time. And on some OHV trails. Nothing too extreme of course. But we lifted it 6", put 35" MTs on, a Fab Fours bumper and Smittybuilt winch put on. Sounds like you need a little more clearance

Etraeger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And a bumper for similar model years for Tahoe/Suburban and Yukon should all be the same.

CamReynolds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Beautiful spring day in Northern Idaho so I decided to head into the woods to see if I could find some morel mushrooms. It's a bit early, but I thought I'd take a look anyway.

The spot I go to I have been a few times in my pickup and have never had to use 4wd or had any issues. It's a mild logging road and I've seen Subarus up there.

Was a bit too much for the Yukon. Bottomed out a couple of times and scraped the front air dam a bunch. Had to use 4wd once.

Probably going to have to remove that air dam, crank the torsion bar at least an inch, and with the extra inch of the tire height, it should help out quite a bit.

I really wish there were some decently priced front bumper options for these rigs. Do I have to buy a bumper specific for the Yukon, or does a Tahoe/pickup bumper work?

Will have to just get used to the limitations of it compared to my pickup.

Oh, and it was too early for morels; only a couple tiny ones were out.

Pics from the day...

View attachment 197766

View attachment 197767

View attachment 197768

View attachment 197769
Rip that airdam off, throw on the good tires and make sure you have skid plates. My Yukon is a tank off-road .Do you have the locking rear?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak

Latest posts