Finished the job and now it won't start!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you really pulled ******* those wires, or smashed them somehow, maybe. Wouldn't hurt to check their condition, see if there is any burn marks or signs of shorting.

OP
OP
Y

yellowkid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you really pulled ******* those wires, or smashed them somehow, maybe. Wouldn't hurt to check their condition, see if there is any burn marks or signs of shorting.

Would this be it?! see the loose end of the wire hanging down? it joins the harness above where the black wrap is, next to the steel line coming out of the PS pump. but I can't tell if it goes up, or down. the wire itself is only about 6-8" long, so you would think it would be easy enough to find the other end within that radius, but it's not obvious! hoping this is the problem....

unnamed-3.jpg unnamed.jpg

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That all looks fine. I don't see any obvious damage, unless there's a break in the actual wire covering inside the conduit. On the loose one, if there is no bare wire sticking out, then that's probably taped up at the factory.
I am sure there has to be a way to test your crank position sensor with a meter without pulling it. Maybe it just went bad?

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a pain to diagnose these ghost without the proper scanning tools to see what's happening during the cranking process.
I am at a loss here, I hope that someone else will chime in.

OP
OP
Y

yellowkid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It is a pain to diagnose these ghost without the proper scanning tools to see what's happening during the cranking process.

Here are a couple more close-ups of the loose wire. as you can see there was a bare tip exposed -- you can see it in the original two photo's esp the LH one. the one new close-up is just as found with just a bit of the wire exposed (it actually almost looks worn as if it was rubbing against a pulley perhaps?). in the second new shot I pulled back the sheathing and unwrapped the wrap inside. did they just tape off wires like this and leave them? again, no obvious place for this to go or have come from. as to the sensor just going, it seems unlikely -- the truck started and ran like a champ before I took it apart, then just turned endlessly after I was all done. does the sensor wire route near the PS pump? I also found what looks like a ground on the firewall above the master cylinder that was loose. LH side is screwed to firewall; other end is loose. I draped it over the master cylinder for clarity. I cant imagine this has anything to do with it.

unnamed.jpg unnamed-1.jpg unnamed-2.jpg

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's your hood ground strap that you have dangling over your master.

That wire you originally found is also another ground strap that bolts to the engine block. It shares a bolt with a second ground strap that is below cylinder 1 behind the ps pump. Picture is a lil blurry sorry.

That could absolutely be your problem.

image.jpg

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd assume it went to something at one time. ( I know, no help LOL ) Check the other wire conduits and see if it was spliced into one of those.
With out a wiring diagram, I can't tell you where the sensor wires come from.
EDIT: M1Gunner is a fast typist.
Hope this solves the issue. I hate these kinds of ghost that appear when you think the job is a simple one. :)

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That pic of your loose wire definitely looks like it had a terminal that broke off, so I agree it's probably a ground wire. And grounds can definitely be important.

OP
OP
Y

yellowkid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That's your hood ground strap that you have dangling over your master.

That wire you originally found is also another ground strap that bolts to the engine block. It shares a bolt with a second ground strap that is below cylinder 1 behind the ps pump. Picture is a lil blurry sorry.

That could absolutely be your problem.

View attachment 178904
excellent thank you will make the connections and report back! thx again

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu