Finished the job and now it won't start!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yellowkid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Very frustrating! I experienced a pretty bad power steering leak on a trip, nursed it home, found a leaky pump. replaced the pump and high pressure line. all set. then I turn it over and it wont start. battery was disconnected for the entire job so that wasnt an issue. I know I was messing around near a lot of wiring as I moved the alternator and wiring out of the way to get the pump in and out. but everything looks OK. I'm going to dig in and start tearing it down (again) but any ideas on what to look for? never had any problems starting before, and it was absolutely fine before I pulled the PS pump out. Been a rough year with this one: replaced the fuel pump, water pump; brakes -- everything from the master cylinder down to the pads including steel lines, now power steering pump. and now it wont start!

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Odd, have you checked all your fuses? Moving wires around may have created a short if a wire was exposed at all. Did you pull the hot or ground on the battery?

OP
OP
Y

yellowkid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Odd, have you checked all your fuses? Moving wires around may have created a short if a wire was exposed at all. Did you pull the hot or ground on the battery?
did not check the fuzes but will! I pulled the hot on the battery during the work.

jaywoo65

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a big ground wire down there somewhere I believe. That's about the only thing I could think of that would keep it from starting.

OP
OP
Y

yellowkid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is it a no crank, no start? Crank but no start?
it cranks over freely. just does not start. I guess its the basics of either spark or gas. but not sure where to start. checking fuzes now and starting to take it apart.

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is your security light flashing when you are cranking the engine?
It's possible that you popped a fuse if you ceated an arc between the cable and the battery when you reconnected but honestly, I do not think the two problems are related. The no start is probably just a separate issue that just conveniently happened at the same time.

OP
OP
Y

yellowkid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is your security light flashing when you are cranking the engine?
It's possible that you popped a fuse if you ceated an arc between the cable and the battery when you reconnected but honestly, I do not think the two problems are related. The no start is probably just a separate issue that just conveniently happened at the same time.

I checked all the fuzes related to the ignition and fuel in all the boxes and all seem fine. I had never heard of the crank position sensor! but thats why I'm here of course. after seeing your suggestion, i looked it up to see location and read that the tach will not register while cranking if the sensor is bad (or disconnected I assume)? the tach goes to zero when the ingnition is turned on, but does not move while I'm cranking -- should it? is this an indication of a disconnected sensor? my next stop is to crawl underneath and check the sensor wiring. a question -- is the wire that goes to the sensor among those that loop under the power steering pump? there's a little bracket that holds a bunch of wires in place there. could i have snapped a lead? I don't think I was near the sensor itself (looks like its above the starter motor on the right rear of the engine) but could have disturbed the wiring? thanks guys this is really helpful!

And no, the security light is not on while cranking, but does come on when I turn the ignition on. the only light on while the motor is turning over is the "engine" icon. Not sure if htats correct or not! thanks again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
03tahoejunk