Finished adding Roku Device to the Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chuck_Finley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's awesome, must be great for the kids on a road trip.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There may be an easier way. I just realized this setup is special because its with the OEM HU. There is an A/V to HDMI cable you can buy off amazon which would convert the A/V output on that back panel to HDMI. Wouldnt that alone allow the Roku, Amazon Fire stick, chromecast work without any other additional work? Similar to plugging an old video game system. You could power it with the cigarette lighter under the center armrest too.

Just realized it wouldnt be hidden without something custom done so this route you went seems pretty good :)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
delightskinned1
Reaction score
There may be an easier way. I just realized this setup is special because its with the OEM HU. There is an A/V to HDMI cable you can buy off amazon which would convert the A/V output on that back panel to HDMI. Wouldnt that alone allow the Roku, Amazon Fire stick, chromecast work without any other additional work? Similar to plugging an old video game system. You could power it with the cigarette lighter under the center armrest too.

Just realized it wouldnt be hidden without something custom done so this route you went seems pretty good :)
The simple adapter does not work ( I tried that first ) but the converter box was just a few bucks more... and yes I did tap into the power source you referenced under the armrest of the truck. I did the extra spicing work to make the instal cleaner and still allow me to use the plugs for anything else that may come up later on down the road... I have 4 kids so I have to make sure all the outlets are always available for trips lol

OP
OP
delightskinned1
Reaction score
You have any step by step pics of the actual install?
Sorry no as this was just a warm weather day project I did when I was bored as we had an upcoming long distant trip a few days later. As another member pointed out to me before i started the project the black panel literally just pops off and everything is easily accessible from that point on. Depending on how hidden or not you want it to be, it can be a simple plug and play just like you would inside the house.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The simple adapter does not work ( I tried that first ) but the converter box was just a few bucks more... and yes I did tap into the power source you referenced under the armrest of the truck. I did the extra spicing work to make the instal cleaner and still allow me to use the plugs for anything else that may come up later on down the road... I have 4 kids so I have to make sure all the outlets are always available for trips lol

I'm using that adapter now but its plugged directly into aftermarket HU. What response do you remember getting when you plugged adapter?

S_wall98

Reaction score
Probably a stupid question but where are you keeping the roku while running it? Is it hidden?

Last edited:

Big_Will29

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wouldn't turning on/off the Roku via the accessory power with each car start quickly destroy the flash memory in the Roku rendering it useless?

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't turning on/off the Roku via the accessory power with each car start quickly destroy the flash memory in the Roku rendering it useless?

No. The same thing happens with Roku connected to TV that is constantly turned on and off. This also applies to the many other devices that have similar purpose. They generally come with a wall adapter but most people connect to USB on tv that only gives roku stick power when tv turned on.

I actually have a Chromecast connected to one of the power ports hidden behind dash and that turned out to be a bad idea. THe purpose was to keep the chromecast on at all times but in between most car turn offs, the chromecast is on and working but has trouble communicating with it's source (the head unit). Thus, the phone connected to chromecast see activity and even the wallpapers that are supposed to show on the head unit but you only see a black screen on the head unit. I have to go into Google Home and restart the chromecast or turn car on/off again. I plan to fix tihs by somehow by connecting it to a source that turns on/off with radio but the restart hasnt been too troublesome yet.

An example is if I'm using the chromecast then decide to sit for a moment and turn car off but still watch chromecast. If I turn car back on, I have to reboot the chromecast through app to see again. If car was turned off and I came back into car some time later, reboot wouldnt be needed. This is what happens when these devices are kept on permanently.

kwOH

Banned
Reaction score
Pimp

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins