Finally ordered a tech2! Need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are workarounds on the internet if you do not have the dongle. I bought it and the extra CD but that is for programming modules and have not had to do that yet and have not spent much time trying to figure it out.

One of the CDs or maybe one I downloaded, gave a tutorial to do all the first time self-tests to make sure all the features are working. Most all of those cables will not be used. If you have a GMT800, I don't think you'll even need the CANDI, which I use for my 2009 and 2011 but not for the 2004.

Make sure your cards are seated properly and the unit does basic self-tests every time you power it up. If you have an extra PCMCIA card, you can make a copy of the one they send you and keep it as a spare.

When prompted to select your line, it's looking for the body style. So "C" for 2WD and "K" for 4WD. For the Impala it's "W". I ran the "C" for a while and the information for the transfer case and front differential obviously didn't show up.

In addition, if you call it a Cadillac, certain other features will show up and allow you to make changes that you otherwise could not under Chevrolet or GMC. You'll have to search the web and youtube for those. I forgot specifically what for already.

UrbanSuburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let us know how you get on with this Alibaba Tech 2, it sounds like a great deal.

OP
OP
drowssap

drowssap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just arrived today and it is quite beautiful! I won't have time to tinker with it for a couple of days but I am also going to watch a few tutorials to learn how to operate it!

tech2.JPG

Alberta Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had posted over in another thread where you had asked a question regarding the scanner.

"A question regarding the Tech 2 scanner.
What functions can it perform with a vehicle that doesn't run?
I started a thread about my 06 Tahoe that has a no start, no crank, no anything problem. Would a Tech 2 allow a look into the PCM to see what isn't connected? Vis a vis, a missing ground or other incomplete circuit? Would it read codes if the battery has been removed and replaced? (Something my simple code reader can't do)"

I'm asking those questions in general, not directly to you drowssap. That said, once you've had a chance to experiment, you might share what you've learned?
Thanks.

OP
OP
drowssap

drowssap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would a Tech 2 allow a look into the PCM to see what isn't connected? Vis a vis, a missing ground or other incomplete circuit? Would it read codes if the battery has been removed and replaced? (Something my simple code reader can't do)"

I'm asking those questions in general, not directly to you drowssap. That said, once you've had a chance to experiment, you might share what you've learned?
Thanks.

Will do but Sometimes codes can get stored and won't erase so you may have that going for you. I also think that if your vehicle were at least able to crank it might be able to see what is up. I remember your other thread....have you tried to jump the starter?

Alberta Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will do but Sometimes codes can get stored and won't erase so you may have that going for you. I also think that if your vehicle were at least able to crank it might be able to see what is up. I remember your other thread....have you tried to jump the starter?

I hoping there is still something remaining in the computer.
As for cranking it over, yes, I can remove the start enable relay ( in the fuse/relay centre under the hood) and put 12 volts to the outgoing terminal. That will engage the starter. I can't do it otherwise as the start enable relay is controlled by the PCM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ylwdogs