Figured out how to keep steady voltage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
on the 07+ we have this regulating system (Regulated Voltage Control or RVC) that basically controls the alternator when it sees more/less drain on the battery.

Being that I have a decent sized stereo as well as HIDs (with the relay harness) on my truck, I looked for a way to turn the RVC off. There would be points while driving that my HIDs would start to flicker because the ballast weren't getting 12 volts. I thought it was the ballast and swapped sides and even purchased new ballast with the same results.

Well, there is a wire connection on the negative side of the battery that controls this system. If you unplug it, your alternator will continue to charge and will stay around 14v while driving. I've had this unplugged for almost a month now with no issues what so ever. No more stereo drain, no more flashing of my HIDs, nothing. I haven't seen any consequences of disconnecting it either.

Here's a few pics you can see the plug and the wiring to disconnect. I put some electrical tape over the connections so they don't rust or get corroded or anything.

photo1_zps344fc5e0-jpg.178079

photo2_zpsf1ecbf11-jpg.178080

photo3_zpsabf70b3f-jpg.178078

photo1_zps344fc5e0.jpg

photo2_zpsf1ecbf11.jpg

photo3_zpsabf70b3f.jpg

Last edited:

shundal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome! I'm going to do this when I get home tonight. I experience some slight flickering as well when I have everything running and my stereo up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bacin87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am planing to install a second (900a) alternator so would this matter if I didn't disconnect this?

OP
OP
NathanJax

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am planing to install a second (900a) alternator so would this matter if I didn't disconnect this?

IF the second alternator's power is only going to your second battery and then to your amps, then no. There will be nothing to stop your 2nd alternator from charging like there is on the main one since the main one is hooked up through the computer.

Yukon_Joey

Reaction score
Could possibly overcharge your battery which in the best case scenario kills just the battery....Worst case...it kills you..... I had a battery pop on me a few years ago after being on a charger over night. Luckily it was just minor skin burns and some spots in the paint on the car next to it. Could have been a lot worse.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Leedogg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
still no issues Nathan?(or did you trade the truck?) My lights will 'blink' from time to time. I drive mostly at night- and it does erk me when it happens.

OP
OP
NathanJax

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
still no issues Nathan?(or did you trade the truck?) My lights will 'blink' from time to time. I drive mostly at night- and it does erk me when it happens.

I still have issues every once in a while. But mine come from my air ride compressors coming on at the same time my truck starts and that's the same time my auto-headlights come on. That's just so much strain on the electrical system at the beginning and all at once.

As long as my compressors aren't on, there's no issues at all

tuckerm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nathan,

I do Fire & EMS with my 08 Chevy Truck and have been having a lot of issues with this system while attempting to transmit on my radio. Today I finally researched this and found this thread. I unplugged the sensor and it appears to be working perfectly for me. I realize this thread is two years old...but have you had any issues with it being unplugged?

OP
OP
NathanJax

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nathan,

I do Fire & EMS with my 08 Chevy Truck and have been having a lot of issues with this system while attempting to transmit on my radio. Today I finally researched this and found this thread. I unplugged the sensor and it appears to be working perfectly for me. I realize this thread is two years old...but have you had any issues with it being unplugged?

Never had any issues with it at all while I had my Yukon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep