False Advertising?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull a spark plug and see if the heads are flat topped or dished if you can't see can maybe feel around with a piece of paper, flat top is LQ9, if there is no paper work for the swap I'd stay away who knows how many miles are on it etc. could have been a backyard hack doing the swap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
K

KARooke

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I ran the VIN and it came back as a 5.3, so I'm trying to figure out how to tell this dealer that they're advertising it incorrectly.

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran the VIN and it came back as a 5.3, so I'm trying to figure out how to tell this dealer that they're advertising it incorrectly.

It would still come up as a 5.3 even if it was swapped to a 6.0 cause the vin is only gonna tell you what it had from the factory someone could have done the swap at some point the 6.0 swap is pretty popular on these trucks

OP
OP
K

KARooke

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It would still come up as a 5.3 even if it was swapped to a 6.0 cause the vin is only gonna tell you what it had from the factory someone could have done the swap at some point the 6.0 swap is pretty popular on these trucks

Yea but they said it's the stock motor so they have no idea.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it an online ad that you could post a link? Bottom line is this Tahoe came with a 5.3. No Tahoe came with a 6.0 of any variety. If they say this Tahoe has a 6.0 (Vortec Max or not) and that it's the stock motor, they're lying/mistaken/"mis-speaking"/etc. It's either been swapped or just an engine cover or door badges that someone put on it. If it' a swap and it looks factory-original (which is easy to do since it's practically a direct bolt-in) and it as well as the rest of the Tahoe checks out ok, maybe you could use the swap as leverage for a better deal, citing that the engine is not original and has unknown mileage and condition.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Funny, I saw a Silverado today, had the red Vortex Max badge on the door in red. I've never noticed that before. I wasn't able to get a pic.

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny, I saw a Silverado today, had the red Vortex Max badge on the door in red. I've never noticed that before. I wasn't able to get a pic.

Yup that's how the came along with the Vortec Max engine cover, I've only ever seen crew cab ones

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Yup that's how the came along with the Vortec Max engine cover, I've only ever seen crew cab ones

It actually was a crew cab.
@Tonyrodz which 6.0 did you get? LQ4 or LQ9? You could possibly get away with a VortecMax engine cover ;)
Got the LQ4. I think I'd like to get the Vortec 6000 engine cover.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjvieira

Latest posts