Factory remote start, alarm goes off in winter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
James 2018 Yukon

James 2018 Yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 15 Denali, with the optional, self-powered alarm. Mine was also alarming when remote starting on cold mornings. It also seemed a little sluggish on cranking. I suspected that a weak vehicle battery which could not maintain a respectable voltage was causing the alarm system is to think the vehicle battery got disconnected. Had the dealer load check the vehicle battery and it failed, battery replaced. I have now remote stared the truck on four consecutive single digit mornings, and no alarm.

Hope this helps
Thank you I will get my battery tested. Sounds logical for sure (mind you the battery should last longer)

OP
OP
James 2018 Yukon

James 2018 Yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
if it is not a weak battery as the following person commented I would go right back to the dealer and insist that they keep digging, if they say they are unable to recreate the same problem then let them keep it and try it themselves when it is as cold as it has been. I don't know but sometimes you just have to put your foot down these dealers just want to do the jobs that make them money so if they have to actually do "Work" there not usually as inclined to do so.

I will have the battery tested as a next step, they should last longer than 2.8 yrs...but its possible. I won't let the dealer get away with shoddy service, its why I usually don't go to the dealer . In this case, I contacted the gm goodwill ambassador program so I had to take it to the dealer in case it was going to be covered. I have a trusted mechanic who works at a private shop and I will get him to test the battery. Thanks again

OP
OP
James 2018 Yukon

James 2018 Yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
James, hopefully, this is the answer. A dead cell with slightly lower voltage will cause really weird issues.
Thanks, I believe the dealer verbally said there were low voltage codes in the history, but did not write that down on the work order. Odd they would not check the battery with a low voltage message. I will check it this morning with my voltmeter as it is another frosty morning. Hopefully, this is the answer. Its an annoying problem with the alarm...I am sure my neighbours think so too :)

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And, it would be easy enough for you to check by yourself, if you have a battery charger.

Hook it up, plug it in, then give the auto start a try...

OP
OP
James 2018 Yukon

James 2018 Yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
And, it would be easy enough for you to check by yourself, if you have a battery charger.

Hook it up, plug it in, then give the auto start a try...
Good point, I had not thought of that as an option, I appreciated the idea.

OP
OP
James 2018 Yukon

James 2018 Yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
As an update, I used my voltmeter and saw that when cold the amps were 12.3, then when starting the engine it dropped to 8.1 amps which indicates a battery issue.

Took it back to the dealer and asked if they tested the battery , and they admitted they did not test it properly ran all their tests and the battery failed.

Dealer refunded the initial 300 spent on diagnostics and gave me a free battery and install.

1st day so far no alarms during remote start..

Thanks to all for suggestions, it helped me solve the problem, get wasted diagnsotic money spent back and a free battery over $600 back in my pocket and hoepfully the problem is solved....the power of forums and nice people!

Why the Delco battery fails in less than 3 years amazes me but at the least the dealer came through with a free replacement out of warranty.

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine failed after only about a year. I have since turned off most of the (what I consider) unnecessary features: lights on for exiting, etc.

I still keep it on a solar trickle charger (hobo freight= $15) when I won't be driving it for a week or so...

At least your dealer stepped up, as you probably know, a lot might not have made good on it. Great news!

OP
OP
James 2018 Yukon

James 2018 Yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
As an update, - 11 F outside temp this morning and the alarm went off again so I am back to square one. Clearly we are having extreme low temps lately and there has to be some connection to temp and alarm. Trick is to find out what it is, its a brand new Delco battery so that cant be it.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Test the new battery the same way you tested the old battery. New parts that were bad or not up to par used to drive the techs crazy at our fleet garage that serviced over 1600 county vehicles. Could also be a parasitic draw on the battery.

Last edited:
OP
OP
James 2018 Yukon

James 2018 Yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
As an update, the alarm continued to go off during the deep freeze, now that we are back up above 32f it stopped going off. I tested the new battery and it would drop below 9 amps during start.

I suspect the issue relates to the battery and the colder it gets the more often the alarm goes off.

Went back to to see the service manager with my thoughts that the 790 amp delco battery they put in is not enough with the heater seats, rear defroster, and hvac that all come on during remote starts.

He sort of agreed and also said in the deep freeze they were overwhelmed with recently purchased new GM's with dead batteries. That makes me think they are undersizing the OEM batteries?