Factory Bose 6 disc in-dash changer, CD function died, '04 Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The factory Bose 6 disc in dash CD changer is no longer playing discs and I have 6 discs stuck in there. I used the 6 disc CD all the time and would like to repair it if possible, or replace if un-repairable.

Yesterday when listening to a disc, it started it's typical routine of losing track on a song, then starting to kick the disc out and displaying the message "Check Disc _." Before it could spit the disc out, a clicking/buzzing sound started from the in dash unit and I could see the disc in the load slot. I figured the disc was just stuck, so I pushed it back in and expected the head unit to reset.

In the past, a disc has never hung up or stuck like this, but for the last year or more, the head unit has been losing track while playing discs and it always kicked the disk out and would give the message, "Check disc _. (fill in the disc #).

All other functions of this head unit are still operational, XM, FM & AM stereo.

Since I prefer to keep the factory head unit, has anyone else ran into this problem or know where a write up is to repair this head unit? Thank you in advance.

cmc76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine did the same about 2 weeks ago. picking a new head unit then i will hatchet my cds out

OP
OP
M

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my situation has changed a bit since the first post. I was able to get the CD operational again, but my 6 CD's are in jail and will not come out. They will play, in that I can listen and switch amongst the 6 discs to listen to them, but they will not eject. Right when this problem started, the head unit was attempting to kick one of the discs out and it got about 95% out before a buzzing sound started from the eject mechanism. I believe one or some of the gears for the eject mechanism are now stripped.

Anyone found a source for these gears? I have a lot of Pick A Part yards near me so I'm willing to go do surgery on factory head units there to harvest the parts I need. I have never seen any of this Bose 6 disc changer in a yard though. Are there other GM head units with the same parts?

sefiro

Reaction score
Unique part. Use GM sites to get a part number and then find a site that shows where used b compatibility. My local gm supplier allows me to search compatibility db with a part number.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing, without looking it up, that the gears for inside the head unit are not GM part numbered, as they only sell complete head units. Thanks.

JasonLmarsh

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The factory Bose 6 disc in dash CD changer is no longer playing discs and I have 6 discs stuck in there. I used the 6 disc CD all the time and would like to repair it if possible, or replace if un-repairable.

Yesterday when listening to a disc, it started it's typical routine of losing track on a song, then starting to kick the disc out and displaying the message "Check Disc _." Before it could spit the disc out, a clicking/buzzing sound started from the in dash unit and I could see the disc in the load slot. I figured the disc was just stuck, so I pushed it back in and expected the head unit to reset.

In the past, a disc has never hung up or stuck like this, but for the last year or more, the head unit has been losing track while playing discs and it always kicked the disk out and would give the message, "Check disc _. (fill in the disc #).

All other functions of this head unit are still operational, XM, FM & AM stereo.

Since I prefer to keep the factory head unit, has anyone else ran into this problem or know where a write up is to repair this head unit? Thank you in advance.
Not sure where you're located, or if it's even worth it, but I'm going to be pulling all of that out of my 03 Denali. You are welcome to have mine if you want to come get it, or pay for shipping. I'm in Oklahoma City. It will be a couple weeks before I do it. [email protected]

OP
OP
M

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure where you're located, or if it's even worth it, but I'm going to be pulling all of that out of my 03 Denali. You are welcome to have mine if you want to come get it, or pay for shipping. I'm in Oklahoma City. It will be a couple weeks before I do it. [email protected]

Jason, thank you for the generous offer. I will take you up on that offer, but will have to pay shipping since I'm in CA. Please let me know when it is available. Thank you.

JasonLmarsh

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Jason, thank you for the generous offer. I will take you up on that offer, but will have to pay shipping since I'm in CA. Please let me know when it is available. Thank you.
Just to clarify, are you talking about this unit? Or the actual head unit? I will send either, or both but I want to confirm it actually works before you spend money to ship it. I've only had the truck a few days so I don't know yet whether it works or not.

IMG_0354.JPG

OP
OP
M

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot the Denali has a different stereo system. On mine, the 6 disc is in the head unit. Do you have a picture of the head unit too?

Wondering if I could make that system work in place of my factory Bose system with 6 disc head unit. Thanks again.

JasonLmarsh

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I forgot the Denali has a different stereo system. On mine, the 6 disc is in the head unit. Do you have a picture of the head unit too?

Wondering if I could make that system work in place of my factory Bose system with 6 disc head unit. Thanks again.
Here's the head unit. It's a little rough. It works for am/fm/sat but I haven't tried the cd or tape, but i can try the cd part tonight..

013.jpg