Factory amp location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steve Davis

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi I'm new to a 2009 Tahoe, not sure of the edition yet, and have an issue with the factory audio where the rear speakers don't work. I see many different locations for the factory amp and have checked a few of them, under the console, behind the driver's side dashboard, in the floor but can't seem to locate it. The only 2 places left to check are behind the glovebox or in the rear left panel. Which is the better place to look? I don't want to start pulling off panels if I don't have to. Eventually, I want to replace the factory system, but I can't right now.

OP
OP
Steve Davis

Steve Davis

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No, it is not the BOSE stereo. If there is no amplifier, then it is probably the speakers themselves. I checked the output at the back of the head unit with an O-scope and there is audio leaving the HU. Guess I'll have to pull a door panel and scope the connections at the speaker.

I just assumed there was an amp due to the aftermarket dvd headrests that were installed. I figured they did something that broke the connection to the rear speakers.

OP
OP
Steve Davis

Steve Davis

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Since I can't find an amplifier, and I just get chirping crickets when I ask about it, I'm just going to assume there is no amplifier. I pulled a door panel last night and found that the speaker is dead. Now is as good a time as any to replace the entire system and bypass the non-existent amp. Everything arrives Monday.

thindiesel

Reaction score
I have an aftermarket system in my 07 Yukon.... Had the bose system, but that sux..... My Yukon sounds amazing!!!!!

OP
OP
Steve Davis

Steve Davis

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I got everything installed and it sounds great. I installed a JVC double-din bluetooth receiver and all new JVC speakers.

OP
OP
Steve Davis

Steve Davis

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here's the scoop on the amplifier. The iDatalink Maestro Rr has the instructions to determine if you have an amplifier.

Method 1:
Look for the Bose, Pioneer or Monsoon logos on the speaker covers or the radio unit. If you find any of those logos, you have a factory amplifier.

Method 2:
Look for the Service Parts Identification sticker in the glove box.
This sticker will indicate all the Regular Production Option (RPO) codes.
If you find any of the following codes UQA, UQS or UQG, you have a factory amplifier.