Factory amp location

Discussion in 'Audio & Electronics' started by Steve Davis, May 10, 2017.

1. Steve Davis

Steve Davis TYF Newbie

Name:
    Steve
    Hi I'm new to a 2009 Tahoe, not sure of the edition yet, and have an issue with the factory audio where the rear speakers don't work. I see many different locations for the factory amp and have checked a few of them, under the console, behind the driver's side dashboard, in the floor but can't seem to locate it. The only 2 places left to check are behind the glovebox or in the rear left panel. Which is the better place to look? I don't want to start pulling off panels if I don't have to. Eventually, I want to replace the factory system, but I can't right now.

2. Steve Davis

Steve Davis TYF Newbie

Name:
    Steve
    Ok, so I checked behind the glove box and found the XM module but not the amp

3. StealthTahoe

StealthTahoe TYF Newbie

Name:
    Joseph
    Do you have the BOSE stereo? if you don't have BOSE you may not have an amplifier

4. Steve Davis

Steve Davis TYF Newbie

Name:
    Steve
    No, it is not the BOSE stereo. If there is no amplifier, then it is probably the speakers themselves. I checked the output at the back of the head unit with an O-scope and there is audio leaving the HU. Guess I'll have to pull a door panel and scope the connections at the speaker.

I just assumed there was an amp due to the aftermarket dvd headrests that were installed. I figured they did something that broke the connection to the rear speakers.

5. Steve Davis

Steve Davis TYF Newbie

Name:
    Steve
    Since I can't find an amplifier, and I just get chirping crickets when I ask about it, I'm just going to assume there is no amplifier. I pulled a door panel last night and found that the speaker is dead. Now is as good a time as any to replace the entire system and bypass the non-existent amp. Everything arrives Monday.