Extremely noisy engine now quiet. Here's how I did it.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JMEngland88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Now, I'll start by saying that I'm sure everyone on here has their opinions are certain products, brands etc, so I'm not trying to turn this into a this is bad, this is good, typical conversation when it comes to oil, additives, etc. I just simply wanted to document what I did and the results. To start, my engine was a chatterbox. It had noises coming from every part of it, loud noises. On cold start the noise was so loud that you could hear it from at least 20 or 30 feet away. This is my first Chevy in many years and I know everyone likes to say that these engines are just noisy, especially with miles, but I refused to believe there wasn't some way to quiet it down, so this is what I did..

Poured in some Gunk engine flush, idled for 10 minutes
Changed oil, 5qt 5w-30 and 1qt auto trans fluid
Drove back and forth to work for a few days
Changed oil again, another 5qt 5w-30, 1qt auto trans fluid, 1 small bottle Marvel Mystery Oil
Drove a few days again
Changed oil, 6qt 5w-30 and 1 can Seafoam
Drove a few days again
1 can Seafoam through the brake booster hose
Hard driving up and down the highway, then drove a day or two
1 can Seafoam through the throttle body
More hard driving up and down the highway, then drove a day or two
Last oil change, 6qts 5w-30

Engine now runs as smooth and quiet as any other vehicle I've ever owned.

Again, this is all just for documentation's sake. If you decide to do something like this, it's on you, I'm not responsible for whatever may happen, good or bad. Honestly my truck has 220k on it and I know it'll be needing a new engine sometime in the future, so I was willing to take a gamble on killing the motor by dumping a bunch of fluids into the oil, but it worked and now it's not embarrassingly loud anymore. Even on cold start, the thing sounds like what you'd expect a brand new truck to sound like.

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Justin, that just goes to prove a cleaning never hurt any engine if done correctly. Gunk has been around as long as I can remember, and worked wonders on 55 Chevy 265 cu in motor that did not come with an oil filter, it was an accessory mounted to the engine. :2cents:Good luck and thanks for info.
David g............:)

pt1965

Reaction score
Now, I'll start by saying that I'm sure everyone on here has their opinions are certain products, brands etc, so I'm not trying to turn this into a this is bad, this is good, typical conversation when it comes to oil, additives, etc. I just simply wanted to document what I did and the results. To start, my engine was a chatterbox. It had noises coming from every part of it, loud noises. On cold start the noise was so loud that you could hear it from at least 20 or 30 feet away. This is my first Chevy in many years and I know everyone likes to say that these engines are just noisy, especially with miles, but I refused to believe there wasn't some way to quiet it down, so this is what I did..

Poured in some Gunk engine flush, idled for 10 minutes
Changed oil, 5qt 5w-30 and 1qt auto trans fluid
Drove back and forth to work for a few days
Changed oil again, another 5qt 5w-30, 1qt auto trans fluid, 1 small bottle Marvel Mystery Oil
Drove a few days again
Changed oil, 6qt 5w-30 and 1 can Seafoam
Drove a few days again
1 can Seafoam through the brake booster hose
Hard driving up and down the highway, then drove a day or two
1 can Seafoam through the throttle body
More hard driving up and down the highway, then drove a day or two
Last oil change, 6qts 5w-30

Engine now runs as smooth and quiet as any other vehicle I've ever owned.

Again, this is all just for documentation's sake. If you decide to do something like this, it's on you, I'm not responsible for whatever may happen, good or bad. Honestly my truck has 220k on it and I know it'll be needing a new engine sometime in the future, so I was willing to take a gamble on killing the motor by dumping a bunch of fluids into the oil, but it worked and now it's not embarrassingly loud anymore. Even on cold start, the thing sounds like what you'd expect a brand new truck to sound like.

so, after each of those fluid changes , did it get a little quieter each time?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14