exterior moldings retaining water?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

papaman

Reaction score
so i noticed this weird issue when i wash my truck or drive in the rain... the moldings on my doors seem to hold quite a bit of water behind them. i bought my tahoe with 41k on the clock, and there are some distinct water stains on the paint below the front of the moldings. i recently clay bar'ed and waxed the truck, and they didn't completely get rid of the stains.

bottom line is this: does anyone else have this issue? and what's the best or ideal way to keep water from getting behind the moldings? i thought about removing the moldings, buffing the paint, then re-applying the moldings - but what type of adhesive should i use to stick them back on the doors?

thanks in advance!

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this issue too with my old mouldings and did my best to make sure it didn't happen when I put the new 09+ LTZ mouldings on... Definitely use a 3M wheel to remove all the excess old adhesive. After that, like you said, clay bar the vehicle. Go to auto zone/advance auto parts and get the double sided 3M adhesive and line the whole perimeter with it. That's what I did at least...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buzarr