Expected transmission life span

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it feels like its slipping...its because it is. Your 2-4 band is slipping. It wont be long now.
that's funny my 2003 Silverado every once in a while makes a sound like a food disposal is a eating a fork and it makes a grinding noise in 1st gear, stop put it in park, shut off the motor, restart put it in drive off she goes again, its been doing that for over a year drove it all over California as well just waiting for it to finally die so I can just replace it but the dam thing keeps going and going like the energizer bunny.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's funny my 2003 Silverado every once in a while makes a sound like a food disposal is a eating a fork and it makes a grinding noise in 1st gear, stop put it in park, shut off the motor, restart put it in drive off she goes again, its been doing that for over a year drove it all over California as well just waiting for it to finally die so I can just replace it but the dam thing keeps going and going like the energizer bunny.
And you believe with all those awesome sound effects happening right underneath you that your tranmission isnt slowly destroying itself? That grinding is probably a drum rubbing into the case or planetary chewing up pieces of your internals.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not so sure of that. I've been able to make it do that for well over 50k miles. It is 1 particular combo of on the gas, off the gas, on the gas. Not only have I been able to replicate this with my current 04 Tahoe, it also did the exact same thing in an 01 Suburban I used to drive. I suspect it's something in the valve body programming, where possibly the converter goes into free wheel when coasting from a certain speed. I always get back off the gas when it happens, so I could just be saving my trans from a premature death by paying attention to what is going on with the lock/unlocking the converter, shifts, popping in/out of O/D. Given that both vehicles do the same thing, I think it's something that probably happens across this vehicle generation. It will be interesting to see if anyone else queues in on that trans behavior.
Ive owned and worked on more TH700R4/4l60e than you have fingers and toes...in your whole family. None of the 4 current 4L60E that I own do that or have done that and one of them has 275k on the case and 150k on the rebuild. All 4wd/AWD from 99 to 05.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And you believe with all those awesome sound effects happening right underneath you that your tranmission isnt slowly destroying itself? That grinding is probably a drum rubbing into the case or planetary chewing up pieces of your internals.
yes I know it is, I'm just waiting for it to finally kick the bucket so I can put in another one, I am not going to pull it out and have it fixed or replaced until it just stops moving, price will be the same regardless may as well get all I can out of it. im hoping it might just make it another year and half so I can just sell it and get my nnbs 6.2l the 5.3 is a dog to me now, ive been spoiled lol

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive owned and worked on more TH700R4/4l60e than you have fingers and toes...in your whole family. None of the 4 current 4L60E that I own do that or have done that and one of them has 275k on the case and 150k on the rebuild. All 4wd/AWD from 99 to 05.

Okay, you got me there. It must be something about how I drive that both transmissions have exhibited the same behavior with high mileage. Where are you located? Do you do rebuilds? What does it run, or if you don't what should it run on average, for a freshen up on an '04?

Marshall206

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
one of our work trucks is a 96 express van with a vortec not sure exactly which tranny it has/had... tranny went out at 90,000 original miles but it hauls a heavier load daily and the tranny was over 20yrs old

we had it rebuilt since switching all the equipment mounted in that trucks is a pain. The shop rebuilt it for $3200 but did a HD rebuild, now when you move the gear shifter its really strong feeling like my F450 Super Duty was. The shifter doesnt just glide but you really feel it

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, you got me there. It must be something about how I drive that both transmissions have exhibited the same behavior with high mileage. Where are you located? Do you do rebuilds? What does it run, or if you don't what should it run on average, for a freshen up on an '04?
Ive been out of the for a living rebuilds for awhile now. I just dont have the time anymore because of work on my land, house, garage, etc. Trasmission shop prices vary by a large margin across the U.S. A typical rebuild of the 4L60e in my area (West-Central Indiana) which includes removal and replace and a better than OEM build with all valve body updates and heavy duty clutch kits with steels runs around $1300-1600 and can go up substantially if major hard internal parts need to be replaced like the planetary. Ive seen many times over where it is cheaper in many places of the U.S. to just buy online and install yourself.

The above $3200 rebuild bill mentioned is just ridiculous. That was highway robbery.

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive been out of the for a living rebuilds for awhile now. I just dont have the time anymore because of work on my land, house, garage, etc. Trasmission shop prices vary by a large margin across the U.S. A typical rebuild of the 4L60e in my area (West-Central Indiana) which includes removal and replace and a better than OEM build with all valve body updates and heavy duty clutch kits with steels runs around $1300-1600 and can go up substantially if major hard internal parts need to be replaced like the planetary. Ive seen many times over where it is cheaper in many places of the U.S. to just buy online and install yourself.

The above $3200 rebuild bill mentioned is just ridiculous. That was highway robbery.

Thank you for weighing in from the perspective of someone in the know. I thought 3200 sounded like a lot. I am in CA, so I suppose the price will be higher, given that everything costs more here. I have also been told by a longtime Chevy line mechanic that there is something about 2nd gear that the aftermarket has a stronger than factory part, but the details escape me. How far and long is it safe to push a high mileage trans that is still functioning correctly? I do notice that when I do the pan fluid swap, shift quality improves. That leads me to believe the trans isn't quite ready for a rebuild. Thanks again for the insight.

TwiztidPixel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has been fantastic so far, but I got a really well cared for Tahoe with paperwork. I'm only at 150k though lol. Question, will any 4L60E work in the Tahoe? I was looking for a "built" tranny and it seems like they were listed for Firebirds etc.

NYRmike

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
175k on a 2006 5.3l Tahoe LT. Still singin' a pretty tune. I get a T-Tech flush and fluid change once a year, and all is well. I try hard not to drive it like a pissed off teenager and always give it a couple mins to warm up if it's freezing out, and take her real easy the first 15 minutes or so of the drive. Haven't put any snake oil in yet, lucas, marvel, royal purple, etc but have been thinking about it lately, considering how old it's getting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14