Expected transmission life span

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CamReynolds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My mother in laws tahoe went 230k with the original tranny before she suddenly got stranded on the side of the road with a back glass covered in atf. She towed trailers left and right with that thing.
Idk how. Our 2nd gear dropped out. It's ok, got a rebuilt heavy duty tranny with a shift kit out of it

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '04 has ~258k on the original and still driving. (Knocks on wood) It does funny shi(f)t if I'm on the gas, let off for a second or two, then get back on the gas. When I do that, it will act like it's slipping, and allow the engine to rev up. I always back off the skinny pedal, then it returns to normal. I've changed the filter twice and did a pan fluid drop via the pan drain plug a few more times than that. I think the new fluid infusion mixed with the existing does help. I feel a shift quality difference when the pan drain and refill is done. I do tow a few times a year,,,,,,a boat, a buggy, a rzr. With my trailer, it's usually a few thousand pounds of tow. Drive smart, pay attention to what your trans is telling you when driving, service it even somewhat regularly, and it should last.

fasttruck9

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2012 Hoe 5.3l not sure what trans but mine went at 124,000, Chevy installed a reman at the cost of $3900.00 7,000 miles and 6 months later it's back in for a new trans, the trans came with a 3 year unlimited miles warranty but it is still a PITA.

LJPinDrakeND

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Our 2010 Hoe has over 140K on it and running great. Change the fluid, occasionally driven like I stole it (foot through the floor acceleration), and rarely tows anything. Not a burp or peep out of it. Damn good hooptie.

Knope

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everyone has different luck...I'm currently at 238k. It has been used to tow boats trough the mountains of NC, tractors to farms, loads of lumber and tile when remodeling houses, and even a broken-down BMW for a 3 hour lift. Bone stock and never had the fluid changed...actually I may drain the fluid tomorrow haha.

Last edited:

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '04 has ~258k on the original and still driving. (Knocks on wood) It does funny shi(f)t if I'm on the gas, let off for a second or two, then get back on the gas. When I do that, it will act like it's slipping, and allow the engine to rev up. I always back off the skinny pedal, then it returns to normal. I've changed the filter twice and did a pan fluid drop via the pan drain plug a few more times than that. I think the new fluid infusion mixed with the existing does help. I feel a shift quality difference when the pan drain and refill is done. I do tow a few times a year,,,,,,a boat, a buggy, a rzr. With my trailer, it's usually a few thousand pounds of tow. Drive smart, pay attention to what your trans is telling you when driving, service it even somewhat regularly, and it should last.
If it feels like its slipping...its because it is. Your 2-4 band is slipping. It wont be long now.

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it feels like its slipping...its because it is. Your 2-4 band is slipping. It wont be long now.

I'm not so sure of that. I've been able to make it do that for well over 50k miles. It is 1 particular combo of on the gas, off the gas, on the gas. Not only have I been able to replicate this with my current 04 Tahoe, it also did the exact same thing in an 01 Suburban I used to drive. I suspect it's something in the valve body programming, where possibly the converter goes into free wheel when coasting from a certain speed. I always get back off the gas when it happens, so I could just be saving my trans from a premature death by paying attention to what is going on with the lock/unlocking the converter, shifts, popping in/out of O/D. Given that both vehicles do the same thing, I think it's something that probably happens across this vehicle generation. It will be interesting to see if anyone else queues in on that trans behavior.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan