Exhaust options

Discussion in 'Performance' started by Treefork, Jul 16, 2017.

Sponsored By: Black Bear Performance
  1. Treefork

Treefork TYF Newbie

Name:
    Joe
    Hey all, new to forum, been lurking a while. So, I'm researching exhausts, and don't want to limit my options, and I'm still learning. So, what are some exhaust systems to look at?

I've been comparing Magnaflow and Flowmaster, but if there are other types I should consider, throw them out there.

My truck is stock, 1999 Tahoe LT 4 door, 4WD. 153k miles.

I'm looking for something that sounds good, moderate volume.

Feel free to respond like I know nothing about anything, because I mostly don't. :)

2. east302

east302 Full Access Member

Name:
    east302
    A lot of people post exhaust videos on YouTube, that may give you a better idea of the sound.

My 2-door has a single exit dynomax on it. It's not obnoxious, but the drone in the cabin can get a little old sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Treefork likes this.
  3. TigerEyz3

TigerEyz3 Slow and Steady

Name:
    Robert
    First, welcome to the forum!!!

There are lots of exhaust options available...research is the cheapest way to get what you need/want without experiencing undue monetary outlay.
    1. you can select the desired muffler and have your local exhaust shop weld in the piping and tip(s)
    2. or you can select a bolt-on exhaust kit that you can install in your driveway

With either option, consider your pipe diameter as well as whether the bends are crimped or mandrel-bent....bigger piping typically equals deeper sound. Muffler selection and pipe length will play a part in volume - longer the muffler, the quieter it will be (also usually less cabin drone).

On a personal level, you mentioned two very reputable brands. I've had both. As previously stated, listen to videos of what you're considering. Sound is subjective - video will give you an idea, but won't be true to life. Also, consider your entire exhaust system (headers, converters, single / dual outlet, exit location, tips) as they each play a part in the tone/volume.

Prior to the current setup, I had a 2.25" DI/DO Flowmaster muffler (this was using the exhaust shop welding option).
    Now, I've got a Magnaflow mandrel bent catback (2.5" DI / 3.5" SO) on my Tahoe... been very happy with it. It outflows the previous setup and has a mellower rumble (not as loud, but a bit deeper). No cabin drone either.

Happy hunting!!!

4. 08HoeCD

08HoeCD Resto-mod aficionado

Name:
    DJ
    Consider a muffler swap using Magnaflow 12589 (mild but noticeable) or 12259 (deeper and slightly louder).

5. TigerEyz3

TigerEyz3 Slow and Steady

Name:
    Robert
    Those muffler suggestions would only work if he wanted a dual outlet setup or ran a y-pipe after the mufflers. The one I have is a full kit (#15701) expressly made for our model trucks - currently on back order.