Ever replaced your AC compressor yourself?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vincesrg03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Scotty, how did you pull off the lines? Did you use a special tool? I got to do my low side line, because it has a leak. Dealer wants 500 bucks for replacing line, replacing low side switch, refilling, and about 3 hours of labor.:emotions122: I looked online for parts and total for parts and freon is around 130 bucks:shocked:. What a rip off. Can i replace the line myself or should i take it to someone. I just need to know if i need any special tools. Thanks in advance. Sorry i hijacked.

OP
OP
S

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Scotty, how did you pull off the lines? Did you use a special tool? I got to do my low side line, because it has a leak. Dealer wants 500 bucks for replacing line, replacing low side switch, refilling, and about 3 hours of labor.:emotions122: I looked online for parts and total for parts and freon is around 130 bucks:shocked:. What a rip off. Can i replace the line myself or should i take it to someone. I just need to know if i need any special tools. Thanks in advance. Sorry i hijacked.

No special tools are needed. The lines connect to the compressor with.a 13mm bolt thru a big flange on the line. Same way on the drier too. To undo the line with the orifice tube, I used two open end wrenches, one on each hex fitting. If you are gonna replace the line, I would go ahead and replace the drier and orifice tube while you are at it. That will insure your AC blows cold for many years to come. After you get everything installed, have a shop put a vacuum pump on it for at least 30 mins before refilling it with 134a.

Oh, and be sure to lube all the O rings and orifice tube with a dab of PAG oil when you
put the lines on. And pour about 2oz of PAG oil into the new drier before installing it too.

OP
OP
S

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I am SO glad I did it myself. I saved well over 650 bucks by learning how to do it myself. Its very intimidating at first, but its not that hard actually. If you can replace a start and a water pump, then you can do this.

joefrog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah, I am SO glad I did it myself. I saved well over 650 bucks by learning how to do it myself. Its very intimidating at first, but its not that hard actually. If you can replace a start and a water pump, then you can do this.

This helped me out -- amazing what seeing someone do it can do to help the process along. Bonus that it's the same make and model!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU7WgSsXeGk

jacksmith

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just replaced my AC Compressor with a salvage pull. Based on what I'm reading, I should have added oil to the system. Now that the compressor and drier (generic from ebay), is there an acceptable easy way to do this? I haven't discharged or charged yet. I thought about charging with some r134a that comes with oil. Would that be enough? Also, if I directly add oil, where do I I introduce it physically? Do I just pour it in the compressor where the lines connect? Thanks for any help in advance.

indulf

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
are you charging it yourself or taking it to a shop to do so?

if the system has no pressure then the compressor clutch won't engage, the compressor won't spin, and you won't be tearing it up without oil in it. it will need oil when it's charged, however. if you're taking it to a shop then let them know and they should take care of the oil.

Roger Carpenter

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m getting ready to do mine. I have an 08 Tahoe Ltz z71. Is the rock auto acdelco one for 133 bucks the right compressor. I have rear ac and controls and everything.

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m getting ready to do mine. I have an 08 Tahoe Ltz z71. Is the rock auto acdelco one for 133 bucks the right compressor. I have rear ac and controls and everything.

Just cross reference the part number through Napa or advance etc to verify it’s the right compressor. The only thing I have to add is that once you introduce air to the accumulator the desiccant bag is going to start soaking up the moisture in the air. Once it’s saturated then putting a new one in is just pointless... always lube any orings you replace and replace them everywhere you break the lines free. Let the shop know what ever you replace bc each component will determine how much oil is gonna be needed to be introduced back into the system. Hopefully the shop you take it too is competent and actually works that in. Anyhow, good luck and don’t let that desiccant bag soak up too much moisture. I.e. let the accumulator be the last component you swap out and close that system back up as quick as possible.