Ever replaced your AC compressor yourself?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My AC compressor is locking up now. It has destroyed 4 belt tensioners now, so I am just driving in this hot ass weather with the AC belt off now. I got a few quotes on having my compressor replaced and every shop wants about 1200 bucks or more. And that is with a cheap ass remanufactured compressor. I can get a brand new AC Delco compressor and drier for about 300$ from Rockauto. I found a shop that will drain the refrigerant and let me replace the parts then bring it back to him and he will flush the lines and vacuum it and refill it with refigerant all for about 150$. I have done plenty of other mechanic work on my vehicles, but never messed with any AC stuff. I'm sure if I can replace a starter, alternator and water pump, then I can replace a compressor and drier. But my question is....Is there anything I should be aware of or pay special attention to? And should I put some PAG oil or something in the compressor? I am planning on replacing the compressor, Drier/accumulator, orifice tube, and the belt and tensioner.

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(My Dad was an A/C tech.)

If you're going to have them charge the system for you after you're done, then you should be good. Just swap the parts. They should put the oil and refridgerant in it for you.

If I'm not mistaken, it should just be a part swap (like your alternator).

GL. Let us know.

TnTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if they will do all of that for $150 then u got a good ass deal, swapping the compressor is a piece of cake, just 4 main bolts and remove the lines, and yes you will need to add some pag oil to your new compressor, they say to pour the oil out of the old one and then add that much oil to the new one you also add some oil to the drier as well, i replaced all of my a/c components except the lines and it was pretty easy but the hardest part of it all was removing and replacing the damn orifice tube

Ironman1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just be real careful on the lines.. they have a tendency to lock up really tight and will twist off if your not careful.. then your into more parts and hassle

2005yukonxl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya'll got all the points already. oil, careful with the lines, etc. its super easy to bolt one up. just make sure, and i know u wont, make sure not to put the belt on it until you get it to the shop and let them do it before they charge it. u dont want to run the compressor even though some oil is in there....

OP
OP
S

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well all went well. I got everything replaced and went and had it vacuumed and filled with 3 lbs of 134a. Everything is good now, you can hang meat in my truck if you wanted to. According to my Fluke, the temp at the front vents is 36 and 40 at the rear AC vents.
Swapping out the compressor was a piece of cake. Just took my time to replace and lube all the O rings and all. My water pump started leaking so I had to pull that off and replace it again. I decided to put it off and do it at the same time as the AC. Boy did that make things easier. With the water pump off, I had all the room in the world to wrench on the compressor. Then once I got all the lines reconnected, I put the new water pump on. That took me a whole 15 minutes! Being that this is the second water pump I put on this truck, I had the whole process down pat. The hardest part is getting the damn fan off. Lol! But that will also be a thing of the past because I just got a set of E-fans as well, complete with a factory harness. I should have those mounted and running one day this week.

BaggedDenali00

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
man i am too late.... sorry but me and a buddy are making brackets for LSx engines now and this is for the guys that do the LSx swaps in older cars that have a problem with the stock comp hitting the k member. so our bracket uses a common and inexpensive sanden compressor and moves forward to use the 6 rib main belt too :) lemme know what you guys think??? my yukon is in the shop getting a new trans... then i will install this on my truck as well... please give me any ideas or thoughts or suggestions thanks

2011-04-27_17-45-36_454.jpg

note the bottom idler has been moved further away in the new revision of brackets... :)

also we are starting to make what we call the Po Boy series of brackets for us LSx truck guys that want some flash but dont wanna rewire or re plumb for different accessories... lemme know what you guys and gals think about this too

DSC00907.jpg

DSC00911.jpg

will be for sale if i get enough people to want them... also can customize pulleys and what not for extra...

lemme know... Name of our biz is Monzter Motorsports and Specialty Fabrication

thanks

Brandon

OP
OP
S

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that looks sweet, but one problem with that I don't like. I prefer the way that the AC has its own separate belt from the factory. That way if your AC goes out, you can cut off that belt and still be able to drive the vehicle. Now I know tons of other vehicles these days run just one belt lime that. But com personal experience, I just prefer the two belts. I was running for over a month with the AC belt off while I saved up the money for a new compressor. But at least I was still able to drive it during the month.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne