Engine upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoe everything

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good evening

I am new to this site , I would like to make my 2001 Tahoe faster .

Z71 package
5.3 engine
4L60E transmission
3.73 gears
Everything is stock

I Wana make extra HP anywhere between 75-180 HP to the rear wheels .

I have the capability and resources to get whatever needs to be done , done.

I don't want to break into the bottom end of the engine from my understanding that part is built pretty well already and can handle up to 500-600 HP ( correct me if I'm wrong)

I don't need a loud idle chop. Any suggestions are welcomed and appreciated . I'm here to learn and make my Tahoe faster thank you .

Last edited:

02_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good evening

I am new to this site , I would like to make my 2001 Tahoe faster .

Z71 package
5.3 engine
4L60E transmission
3.73 gears
Everything is stock

I Wana make anywhere between 75-180 HP to the rear wheels .

I have the capability and resources to get whatever needs to be done , done.

I don't want to break into the bottom end of the engine from my understanding that part is built pretty well already and can handle up to 500-600 HP ( correct me if I'm wrong)

I don't need a loud idle chop. Any suggestions are welcomed and appreciated . I'm here to learn and make my Tahoe faster thank you .
Basic upgrades that could probably get you about 20-25hp (just a guess) would be exhaust, CAI and a custom tune from black bear performance (or somewhere else). Don't get a throttle body spacer, in some cases it hurts power for some reason in these trucks I don't know much about it, someone else can explain why. Headers is another good one. The most you could get out of that is maybe 35hp (another guess). I don't know your budget but a good cam can put you into that range along with the other upgrades.

OP
OP
T

Tahoe everything

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Basic upgrades that could probably get you about 20-25hp (just a guess) would be exhaust, CAI and a custom tune from black bear performance (or somewhere else). Don't get a throttle body spacer, in some cases it hurts power for some reason in these trucks I don't know much about it, someone else can explain why. Headers is another good one. The most you could get out of that is maybe 35hp (another guess). I don't know your budget but a good cam can put you into that range along with the other upgrades.
My budget can go to 3 grand if need be . I just want to make sure I do everything right and research and get a bunch of information from different sources prior to starting this .

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$3K will get you all the bolt-ons, cam, all the accompanying valvetrain upgrades (valve springs, pushrods, trunnion upgrade, etc) and tune. You may be able to squeeze some mild headwork (millling for compression, etc.) in that budget, too. The kicker is factoring in labor costs. My assumption is that you'll be farming out the work because if you were already set up and capable of doing the work yourself, then you'd already know what was necessary for getting more power out of this platform.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos

Latest posts