Engine temperature gauge problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So all of a sudden the temperature gauge is showing a lower than usual temperature. Like from one day to the next and it has remained that way for a week.

Usually indicated about 200-210
this day 175ish (we all now these gauges suck and are a reference point but still)

I replaced the thermostat (195) and temperature sensor. No difference.

I am worried the ECU thinks it is running cold and is going to play with fuel / air ratio

Why is the gauge indicating lower than usual? is it bad?

I have plenty of heat, it makes me feel like I am melting.

I'm stumped, ideas?

laredo1307

Reaction score
That's a good question. My Tahoe has always run at around 160F. When I changed out my radiator and waterpump I put a 180F T-stat in but still the dial reads the same. Maybe it is at 180 but the dial is slightly off. Anyways, I've never seen my gauge fluctuate except when I had a crack in my radiator.

OP
OP
bowtiefreak

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my gauge does move, just not to where it used to. It spiked up once to the 210 range but right after I swapped the t-stat and sensor. then never again. The sudden change is why I worry

OP
OP
bowtiefreak

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a temp SWITCH on the drivers side head...feeds to the gauge. New switch just went in. need to drive ans see what happens

SouthernHoe

Reaction score
All the Vortec V-8s and V-6's have run where you are describing normally. If mine gets to 210 something is wrong. It did just recently and I realized I had a leak and it was low.

OP
OP
bowtiefreak

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
both my trucks have always run about 200...t-stat is 195*...when it dips too low there is an issue. Last time it did this was a bad thermostat.

This was a sudden change from one day to the next is why it is in question. I've owned my one truck for 14 years and I know it pretty well. this is a weird problem.

Where is sunlit?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
The dash guage and the pcm use two different sensors. What does the pcm see, by means of a scanner, as it's reading when you see the dash guage dip as well?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 02:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 PM ----------

You can test the guage as well with a variable resistor with a range of 90 ohms I think it was.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
bowtiefreak

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both sensors are new. Going to try to get a scanner on it tomorrow.

Thanks

Tbruz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sunlit,
Can you post the procedure to test the temp gauge using the resistor?
Thanks
Tbruz

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne