Engine Swap 5.7 to 6.0???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tred26

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wanting to know what engine to look for to swap into my 99 chevy tahoe 4x4. Wanting to go with a 6.0L. Any suggestions?

OP
OP
T

Tred26

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You'd be looking at a Gen III LQ4 or LQ9. The Gen IV engines are more difficult to swap. Does your Tahoe have the 4L80/4L85 or the 4L60/4L65 transmission?

I have replaced the factory with the 4L65E

OP
OP
T

Tred26

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
He could go old school vortec 6.0, instead of an Lq4 or 9. 5.7 bored out?

See this is where i am torn. Would it be easier to bore out the 5.7 vortec or go with a swap of the 6.0?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be easier to work over what you have rather then swap in a powertrain that was not original to your truck. It's done all the time though.

You'll have to decide your budget and how much horsepower you want it to make. Then see what is the least path of resistance; unless you really want an LS!

If it were mine, I'd work with what you have, bore out the tired 5.7 and spice it up some.

bigfootchiro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of threads and forums that talk about swapping out the 5.7 for a 6.0. I did a lot of research on it for months, across multiple forums and videos. All in all, it's not a difficult project to do, just time consuming and tedious. You can either tap into your current wiring harness or swap out the harness completely (that's what I would suggest). Some people have them already made, or will make one for you, that will make the swap super easy. You can mount it up to your current 4L65E, but will need a different flex plate and adapter (can be found online easily). Motor mounts (I suggest Dirty Dingo), 0411 PCM (needs to be tuned properly and VATS removed, but has to have tuning already on board for 4L60/65. Guy from PCMPOWERTUNES sells them, tuned or untuned, and affordable), AC bracket (don't remember guy's name but I have the email), and a few other things. I have an entire list made up somewhere to make the swap happen, with costs. If your end goal is big power and reliability, and money/time isn't an issue, then the LS swap would be awesome! Had a 6.0 sitting in the back of my Hoe for a while, when I decided I wouldn't have time to do it, so I sold it.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
There are a lot of threads and forums that talk about swapping out the 5.7 for a 6.0. I did a lot of research on it for months, across multiple forums and videos. All in all, it's not a difficult project to do, just time consuming and tedious. You can either tap into your current wiring harness or swap out the harness completely (that's what I would suggest). Some people have them already made, or will make one for you, that will make the swap super easy. You can mount it up to your current 4L65E, but will need a different flex plate and adapter (can be found online easily). Motor mounts (I suggest Dirty Dingo), 0411 PCM (needs to be tuned properly and VATS removed, but has to have tuning already on board for 4L60/65. Guy from PCMPOWERTUNES sells them, tuned or untuned, and affordable), AC bracket (don't remember guy's name but I have the email), and a few other things. I have an entire list made up somewhere to make the swap happen, with costs. If your end goal is big power and reliability, and money/time isn't an issue, then the LS swap would be awesome! Had a 6.0 sitting in the back of my Hoe for a while, when I decided I wouldn't have time to do it, so I sold it.
Just curious, what do you think all the parts, minus the motor itself, would've cost for the entire swap?

bigfootchiro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious, what do you think all the parts, minus the motor itself, would've cost for the entire swap?

Oh man, I think I just threw away all of those notes! I'll check my bag at home, because it may still be in there. It can range from $1000 on your low-end, backyard, thrown together LS swap, up to a few grand, depending on which way you go with it, for everything including motor. I had all of the components priced out, but will look again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ylwdogs