Engine/Motor Mount Trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Meli

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've been driving a 2007 Suburban, currently with around 180k miles, for almost 3 years. In the last 18 months, I've replaced engine/motor mounts twice. I just tested and have another cracked mount. Help!!! This $500 repair is not acceptable to continue to occur, not routine maintenance! This never happened with my 2002 Suburban. Is there a recall I cannot find?

Frustrated, to say the least! I read that Jennifer from GM was assisting some with this in 2014. Is there anyone currently assisting with this?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been driving a 2007 Suburban, currently with around 180k miles, for almost 3 years. In the last 18 months, I've replaced engine/motor mounts twice. I just tested and have another cracked mount. Help!!! This $500 repair is not acceptable to continue to occur, not routine maintenance! This never happened with my 2002 Suburban. Is there a recall I cannot find?

Frustrated, to say the least! I read that Jennifer from GM was assisting some with this in 2014. Is there anyone currently assisting with this?

About the only assistance with resolving this is people making/trying to make their own mounts, myself included. I have some ideas of how I want to do mine and I have a few used/broken mounts to experiment with. But, I have bigger priorities this time of year. Otherwise, all you can do is replace it with another mount that will likely continue the cycle.

OP
OP
M

Meli

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've read some information on the aftermarket mounts made by Anchor. Do you know if they last longer than the GM mount?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've read some information on the aftermarket mounts made by Anchor. Do you know if they last longer than the GM mount?

Most I've read is the aftermarket mounts are worse than the OEM mounts. Do you have a heavy right foot? Do you tow?

OP
OP
M

Meli

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No to both. It's a child transporter & grocery getter more than anything.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No to both. It's a child transporter & grocery getter more than anything.

I thought for sure these things were "just" sensitive to people that did off-roading, towed or was ******* the throttle. Apparently, the mounts just plain suck. If you've ever studied one, you'd wonder how they were ever an approved design. They're basically a square balloon made of thick rubber and filled with fluid. The weight of the engine rests on this layer of fluid, which makes for a great vibration absorber. When the engine torques and pulls on the mount, it is limited by a metal pin. Over time (in short time), the rubber cracks and the fluid leaks out, letting the weight of the engine collapse the mount so you now have hard rubber resting on hard rubber and an extra 1/2" or so of free play. The constant up and down motions from the extra play wears the rubber away further, so the mount eventually wallows itself more room to move and the problem worsens.

I'm trying to come up with a relatively simple and cost-effective direct-replacement mount that is based on the tried-and-true mount design of the past 50+ years. I have another idea that may be a simple and permanent solution that won't require removing the mounts. I'd like someone with a broken mount to try it, but I'll make a new thread for that one...

justinesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a really heavy foot and mine has lasted a year half so far. i think i am starting to feel it go again. at least its some what easy to change. I left the metal guard off the new one to make my life easier when install and i am sure it will help for removal

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you mean the shiney protector tin foil looking piece? I think its to minimize dust or maybe prevent oil from spilling. I was scared to install without it.

I currently have an anchor, and one I got very cheap off amazon. Only 2-3k miles on it. Will definitely make a post when its time to change but I'm hoping its way after you are forced to make a decision on your 3rd mount. Freaking sux

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That aluminum "foil" piece is a heat shield to help protect the mount from the heat of the exhaust manifold. Heat accelerates the decay of rubber, so leaving that heat shield off likely shortened the life of the mount tremendously.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout