emergency unlock / spare key?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How are so many people locking themselves out? I just use the remote to lock the doors and then I know I have it.

clogan2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How are so many people locking themselves out? I just use the remote to lock the doors and then I know I have it.
I've never locked myself out...but I'm prepared in case I ever do. Most likely scenario would involve losing the fob that's supposed to be in my pocket.

In the old days, a spare key in a magnetized box, hidden inside a bumper or fenderwell, was an easy solution. Nowadays, with fobs, it's a little more involved.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I've never locked myself out...but I'm prepared in case I ever do. Most likely scenario would involve losing the fob that's supposed to be in my pocket.

In the old days, a spare key in a magnetized box, hidden inside a bumper or fenderwell, was an easy solution. Nowadays, with fobs, it's a little more involved.
Years ago I worked for the highway dept. I found LOTS of those magnetic key boxes on the road--with keys still in them.

Last edited:

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Just seems like an old fashioned problem. I ski, boat, jog etc. The key fob is the size of a tic tac container. It fits nicely in any pocket I have...My abandon is never less reckless due to it. If I'm kayaking or something then its in a ziplock with my phone. Inside the cooler or whatever. Of course if I have my phone I can lock everything else in the car (including the fob) because I can unlock the car with my phone.

blakester

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah, I can't speak for the original poster, but for me- I hope I don't lock myself out, however, should that happen, there is a good chance I will not have cell service and there will not be other people around for many hours- maybe days. When I am in an area of no cell service, I certainly am not going to be packing around a cell phone. I just like to have a plan and yes this is a new vehicle. I will have it for 10+ years. Its worth having a plan.

Illnasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can’t understand how you lock your keys in the car these days. It actually takes a decent amount of effort to do that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts