elusive electrical issue, 95 tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Gemmell

Gemmell

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
hey there, bit of an update on this electrical issue.

I installed new 8 guage ground wires that go from the body (coolant tank bolt), to the frame, to the block and to the ground strap just off the battery on the fender. Absolutely no change, might even be worse actually. So I did parasitic drain test between the unhooked negative terminal and the battery and found there to be a 0.2 amp draw at first, then it drops down to a 0.17 amp draw. Far too much to be the clock and radio presets. I also made sure that all doors were shut and that there was nothing plugged into the cigarette lighters to give a false reading. Further testing revealed continuity between the positive and negative terminals when unhooked. I isolated the short or whatever it is to be between the 50 amp lighting fuse and the headlight switch plug. With the fuse removed there's no more continuity between terminals and the draw drops to 0.04 amps.

Does anyone have experience with this lighting circuit enough to know if it goes anywhere else besides the headlight switch and the ignition switch (for daytime running lights)? It looks like this harness has been tampered with before and I know I need to tear it all apart again. Just want to make sure this isn't normal for these trucks and that I should proceed.

P.S. I should also mention that my tahoe came with HID headlights and an aftermarket stereo. And the radio was poorly installed and ended up being the reason the cruise control wouldn't work.

Thanks!!

freik_4518

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did you ever figure out the volt gauge moving with turn signals on i am having the same problem someone told me to check the tail light boards so i unplugged the taillights and it still does it

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have owned my '95 for ten years and my gauge moves around too. Tends to move down about 1/4 then back to straight up. I am on my 2nd brand new napa alternator. I keep the original for a spare if ever needed. Might be a common problem my truck has 224,600 miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan