Eliminating that "lean"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does not lean. Not sure if it leaned before I replaced my shocks and struts.

I'm not sure if mine leans, never really checked before.

I have read about this lean but on more than one occasion it leads to something being wrong in the suspension. One post on a GM truck site had to do with over tightening suspension components. And that seems to be the culprit for the most part.

I don't know, I think cutting springs or putting spacers in is just a band aid.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if mine leans, never really checked before.

I have read about this lean but on more than one occasion it leads to something being wrong in the suspension. One post on a GM truck site had to do with over tightening suspension components. And that seems to be the culprit for the most part.

I don't know, I think cutting springs or putting spacers in is just a band aid.
At least you can take out a spacer, cant put a cut piece of spring back together

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I removed a short piece of coil in the front right. Now it sets perfectly level front to rear, on both sides -- however the right side is still higher by 1/4 inch. It's unnoticeable by the naked eye, and who knows, maybe another 100 miles in, things will settle. Im happy with it as it sits now. It looks level, and that was my end goal.
View attachment 188680 View attachment 188681

Did you measure this with a full tank of gas? It may sit level left-to-right with a half or near-empty tank. I mean, it's nitpicking, but I wanted to mention it in case it offers any more closure.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have heard of this lean. Never experienced though.
This is just odd to me. It doesn't happen to everyone, nor does it come off the assembly line like this.
I'm wondering if something is wrong.

Nah, it's all normal. Not all trucks are exposed to the same level of use- some are driven in areas where the suspension is cycled more so the springs are fatigued more, some regularly carry lighter or heavier occupants, some tow and/or haul... There are plenty of variables. The common denominator is the extra weight that's on the left side, so the suspension is worked that much more when cycled.

OP
OP
RedRocker

RedRocker

Back in Black
Reaction score
Did you measure this with a full tank of gas? It may sit level left-to-right with a half or near-empty tank. I mean, it's nitpicking, but I wanted to mention it in case it offers any more closure.
Yes, and believe it or not - the more fuel in the tank the more even it sat. I purposely ran it down to 46 miles to empty today and my right side is closing in on that 1/2 inch higher mark, 1/4 inch higher when tank is full. The only thing that remains constant is the Front to Rear is level, regardless of full amount.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, and believe it or not - the more fuel in the tank the more even it sat. I purposely ran it down to 46 miles to empty today and my right side is closing in on that 1/2 inch higher mark, 1/4 inch higher when tank is full. The only thing that remains constant is the Front to Rear is level, regardless of full amount.

On a side note, dont trust that 46 miles to empty shit...(i think it goes to 30, then says low fuel) ..... ask me how i know......2x.......smh

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

o_O:wtf2:

MDC9966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With my previous ride, a 2007 LT3 4wd, I installed Belltech adjustable struts in the front and played around with the spacers to get it level from side to side and front to back. Actually, I adjusted it to have about a 1" rake and used Belltech 2" lowering springs in the rear. The LT3 was a NON-autoride Tahoe.

OP
OP
RedRocker

RedRocker

Back in Black
Reaction score
With my previous ride, a 2007 LT3 4wd, I installed Belltech adjustable struts in the front and played around with the spacers to get it level from side to side and front to back. Actually, I adjusted it to have about a 1" rake and used Belltech 2" lowering springs in the rear. The LT3 was a NON-autoride Tahoe.
I'll definitely consider adjustable struts if I decide to dial it in even closer to level. Cutting springs is a real PITA, lol. I like the level look and will most likely ride it as is, but leveling it side to side and maybe even a slight rake is doable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kentf3