Electrical Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Therealcrazy8

Reaction score
Not sure if I have this in the wrong section, but I apologize if I do.

I have an '09 Tahoe LT and over the last few days I have been having some quirky electrical issues. There's times where the truck wont even start but if I keep trying or give it a few minutes it starts up fine. There are other times where I see the overhead lights pop on and think that it'll start and it doesn't, but the radio will come on and all of the dash stuff. Another time, when I was on the highway and put the cruise control on, it wouldn't stay on very long and then all of the sudden I could see the speed dropping down because cruise was turned off. That happened 3 times in about 5-10 minute period. Another incident I thought one of the back windows was down just a hair and so I pulled up on both window buttons on my door to close them and the radio went off, not sure if I had cruise on or not that time. On that note, there's been a few times where the radio just randomly turns off and back on.

None of this makes sense to me and only recently started. I disconnected my lights I installed under the hood to make sure that wasn't an issue, and the behavior continues. I have a cheap OBD II reader that I use just to read and delete codes and it didn't see any codes. I also had On-Star run a diagnostic and they didn't see anything either. Just for good measure, I had my battery and alternator tested, and both came back as being good. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot more than I have? Any help is much appreciated.

cmc76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think you are going to have to start inspecting your grounds.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Not sure if I have this in the wrong section, but I apologize if I do.

I have an '09 Tahoe LT and over the last few days I have been having some quirky electrical issues. There's times where the truck wont even start but if I keep trying or give it a few minutes it starts up fine. There are other times where I see the overhead lights pop on and think that it'll start and it doesn't, but the radio will come on and all of the dash stuff. Another time, when I was on the highway and put the cruise control on, it wouldn't stay on very long and then all of the sudden I could see the speed dropping down because cruise was turned off. That happened 3 times in about 5-10 minute period. Another incident I thought one of the back windows was down just a hair and so I pulled up on both window buttons on my door to close them and the radio went off, not sure if I had cruise on or not that time. On that note, there's been a few times where the radio just randomly turns off and back on.

None of this makes sense to me and only recently started. I disconnected my lights I installed under the hood to make sure that wasn't an issue, and the behavior continues. I have a cheap OBD II reader that I use just to read and delete codes and it didn't see any codes. I also had On-Star run a diagnostic and they didn't see anything either. Just for good measure, I had my battery and alternator tested, and both came back as being good. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot more than I have? Any help is much appreciated.

The search button is your friend.... Lol

You need to replace your cables going to your battery.... Very common issue with these trucks.

OP
OP
T

Therealcrazy8

Reaction score
The search button is your friend.... Lol

You need to replace your cables going to your battery.... Very common issue with these trucks.
That's where I started. I must not have used the right keyword(s) because I wasn't able to find anything. Thank you for the help.:)

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
That's where I started. I must not have used the right keyword(s) because I wasn't able to find anything. Thank you for the help.:)

Since your cables are most likely bad you should have your battery load tested and possibly replaced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17