Easiest way to drop trans pan?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

domoarigato

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Finally getting around to the trans filter replacement. From what it looks like, the exhaust is tucked up real close to the pan.

Is dropping the exhaust the only way to do this job (according to the service manual)? I read somewhere about jacking up the trans and loosening the trans crossmember but couldnt find any photos.

I'd like to avoid trying to drop the exhaust because of the likeliness of stripping a exhaust stud / bolt out.

Thanks!

KBones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just changed my filter and tranny fluid. There's no need to drop cross member or exhaust. You'll want to pump out some fluid before before you lower the tranny pan or it will be very messy. Disconnect the tranny cooler line near the passenger side headlight. Plug the cooler and stick a clear hose into the line that you disconnected from the cooler(I don't remember the size that fits best) and put the other end securely into a jug to catch the fluid that you pump out. Run the truck for about 15 seconds or until you pump out about 3 quarts. Hold onto the hose when you do this because there will be some pressure behind it and have someone else start and stop the engine. Then connect the tranny line back to the cooler. Then remove all of the tranny pan bolts but be careful not to drop the pan too quickly and spill everywhere. Only the front of the pan will be able to lower enough to get the filter out and the new one in. Use a turkey baster and pull out some fluid from the pan. Reach up and pull the filter straight down with a little but quick and controlled force. You may have to wiggle it just a little. The new one will just push right back into place. Then pull out the magnet that's sitting on the bottom of the inside of the pan. Its got fine metal fragments on it (which is normal)so clean it off and put in back in the pan. After the filter is back in, bolt the pan back into place but alternate back and forth between all of the bolts so its installed and tightened evenly. Pour 2 or 3 quarts of new fluid back in. Drive a few miles and check the fluid level. There are a few videos on youtube showing this method as well. Hope this helps! Good luck.

bryank97

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
As mentioned before, Check YouTube they help a ton.
You can leave the exhaust in place, and try and pry it down about 1/2 - 3/4" so the pan can clear some relay looking things. It will take a lot of force to pry it down, I used a 4 ft stainless rod as a pry bar, it was crazy

Also if you're buying the ACDelco kit it comes with a gasket, filter and the seal. The seal is a pain to remove, a good pick tool helps, but you'll end up collapsing/crushing the old one and tapping the new one in with a socket.

One last pointer, the trans shift linkage is in the way of two bolts, to remove it they are torx--- mine were stripped out so i bent the bracket out of the way, removed the trans bolts, and when all done bend the bracket back

Its not a "tough" job, its just messy usually and laying on the ground sucks

OP
OP
D

domoarigato

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just changed my filter and tranny fluid. There's no need to drop cross member or exhaust. You'll want to pump out some fluid before before you lower the tranny pan or it will be very messy. Disconnect the tranny cooler line near the passenger side headlight. Plug the cooler and stick a clear hose into the line that you disconnected from the cooler(I don't remember the size that fits best) and put the other end securely into a jug to catch the fluid that you pump out. Run the truck for about 15 seconds or until you pump out about 3 quarts. Hold onto the hose when you do this because there will be some pressure behind it and have someone else start and stop the engine. Then connect the tranny line back to the cooler. Then remove all of the tranny pan bolts but be careful not to drop the pan too quickly and spill everywhere. Only the front of the pan will be able to lower enough to get the filter out and the new one in. Use a turkey baster and pull out some fluid from the pan. Reach up and pull the filter straight down with a little but quick and controlled force. You may have to wiggle it just a little. The new one will just push right back into place. Then pull out the magnet that's sitting on the bottom of the inside of the pan. Its got fine metal fragments on it (which is normal)so clean it off and put in back in the pan. After the filter is back in, bolt the pan back into place but alternate back and forth between all of the bolts so its installed and tightened evenly. Pour 2 or 3 quarts of new fluid back in. Drive a few miles and check the fluid level. There are a few videos on youtube showing this method as well. Hope this helps! Good luck.

You were able to do it without completely removing the pan? Just drop it enough to get the filter off?
I plan on sucking some of the fluid out from the dipstick with a fluid extractor / pump.

Thanks for the info!

As mentioned before, Check YouTube they help a ton.
You can leave the exhaust in place, and try and pry it down about 1/2 - 3/4" so the pan can clear some relay looking things. It will take a lot of force to pry it down, I used a 4 ft stainless rod as a pry bar, it was crazy

Also if you're buying the ACDelco kit it comes with a gasket, filter and the seal. The seal is a pain to remove, a good pick tool helps, but you'll end up collapsing/crushing the old one and tapping the new one in with a socket.

One last pointer, the trans shift linkage is in the way of two bolts, to remove it they are torx--- mine were stripped out so i bent the bracket out of the way, removed the trans bolts, and when all done bend the bracket back

Its not a "tough" job, its just messy usually and laying on the ground sucks

Thanks for the info. I'll watch out for the linkage.

KBones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You were able to do it without completely removing the pan? Just drop it enough to get the filter off?
I plan on sucking some of the fluid out from the dipstick with a fluid extractor / pump.

Thanks for the info!

Thanks for the info. I'll watch out for the linkage.

A pump through the fill tube would work also. Yeah, you don't have to drop it all the way. It gives you enough room to get your hand up there to remove the old one and install the new one.. You will have to move the shift linkage out of the way which just takes a little bit off wiggling it and you'll be fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne