E85

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
02_Tahoe

02_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as your calibration files are inline to run either E85 and Gasoline/ any mixture of the two you would be fine. But What @MrBalll is saying, is that unless your going for an all out steet/track vehicle, it really isnt needed until youve done everything else and your looking for max power, with daily driving, it would be kinda negligible because you get worse fuel economy.

In the long run, E85 is more expensive. "IF" it costs you $3700 dollars for the whole year to use unleaded, it may end up costing "close" to double that for E85, because mileage goes out the window.

Port and polish, your choice really, but what mods are you gonna do to take advantage of it? I think stock compression on a 5.3 is 9.5, so if you mill .036 off the heads (862 if thats what they are ) and depending on gasket, you would be close to 10.5. At that CR and above, it will be beneficial to run 91+ or E-85.

If your going to go that route, might as well do exhaust. Stock is 2.75 so you might as well step up to a 3.
If going header, go longtubes over shorts.
my goal is 450rwhp, so a little above 500 at the crank while keeping it N/A. I'm going to school for diesel technology this fall so i can do it all myself, just need to buy parts. It's gonna be a slow budget friendly build. My trans was rebuilt less than 20k miles ago but I don't trust it with the power it has right now because it was rebuilt using stock parts. Before I do anything I'm making sure I have the money for a new trans in case I need it. I can get one rated for 500hp for $1500. Plan on keeping this truck till it blows up. Then maybe a 6.0 swap if it does blow lol

about20ninj45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds good, I'd also look at upgrading that rear end because your ten bolt won't like that abuse if going beyond 500 rwhp

OP
OP
02_Tahoe

02_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds good, I'd also look at upgrading that rear end because your ten bolt won't like that abuse if going beyond 500 rwhp
I do plan on getting a new gear ratio. So I'll have a new ring and pinion. But what else should I upgrade back there

Maximus1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do plan on getting a new gear ratio. So I'll have a new ring and pinion. But what else should I upgrade back there
You should get the Eaton truetrac Detroit locker. This will literally make your rear end bullet proof

about20ninj45

Full Access Member
Reaction score

At some point, not now, but swapping fro. A 10 bolt rear end to a 12. And that gov bomb won't like you locking up on pavement so much, do he needs to be replaced.

Maximus1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one mistake I made was my gear ratio. I didn't do the math on my tire size. With the stock rims my tires are 31" tall. I installed a 3.90 ring and gear but realistically I should have installed a 4.30

Maximus1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At some point, not now, but swapping fro. A 10 bolt rear end to a 12. And that gov bomb won't like you locking up on pavement so much, do he needs to be replaced.
Everyone I've spoken to about swapping rear ends say if you're going to do the swap you should go with a 14 bolt. They said you wouldn't have any problems no matter the amount of horsepower you throw at it.

Maximus1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While that is true it's 'free' HP is it really worth it? You'll fill up on gas twice as much and I believe E85 is more expensive. So you're spending way more money each time you fill up for 10HP. Versus just getting a CAI and getting 10HP for a one time fee.

Not trying to push you away from it, just putting it into more perspective.

Meth can be worth it, but you really need to put money into your engine before you get a kit. It will do next to nothing on a stock engine. So after you spend a good 5,000+ on your engine then grab you a meth kit and go to town.
The E85 here is a lot cheaper than regular 87 unleaded usually 50 cents per gallon or more

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Banjomatic