E85

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LanceD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trying out this corn fuel stuff. I've heard good and bad about it. I'll post my results here.
87 octane 16 mpg.
Filled up with E85 at $2.09gal with about an eighth of a tank of 87 left. It's about 2 miles out of my way going to work. Regular 87 was $2.49gal.
20180205_131159.jpg

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
probably nice if it is available locally to you, closest e85 to me is almost 60 miles away

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you check your alcohol content Lance? My truck loves it and makes it run like race gas is in it. Have had instant economy lows in the 8s and highs in the 14s. Last 4 or 5 tanks averaged just over 10 mpg city driving. The GMT900 SUVs with 5.3s were rated between 10 city and 15 highway on E85.

Last edited:

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
prob a little late now...but make sure your truck is flex fuel compatible ...and mpg prob isnt the best comparison to gauge e85 :lol:

if youve got a light foot and/or do a lot of highway mileage youll prob break even compared to 87oct.
with the stock tune i only ran 93oct, the e85 would keep up with it for highway mpgs and on cruise control climbing grades it would do better. going from 87 to e85 in performance though will prob rock but counterproductive to trying to save money

OP
OP
LanceD

LanceD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do I check alcohol content?

I am not real concerned about mpg, I just want it to run better and have better miles per dollar instead of miles per gallon.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It all boils down to how much does it cost to drive a mile. I've paid as little as .16 cents a mile and as much as .24 cents on E85 and up to .27 cents on 93 and that's with that pesky cat that's going to get replaced soon. My rig weighs at least 6,300 pounds and often much more, you fellas should do much better, especially the SWB trucks.

You need a scan tool which can read them. When the engine detects a refueling event, it takes seven miles of driving afterwards for the computer to calculate the new alcohol content. E85s alcohol content can vary greatly. I've gotten from 52-71% which I would think affect economy. Trying to use the same brand and stations, the last two tanks have been the highest from the same station. But they keep raising the price so I may jump ship and try the Sunoco across the street which is near thirty cents less per gallon.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
prob a little late now...but make sure your truck is flex fuel compatible ...and mpg prob isnt the best comparison to gauge e85 :lol:

if youve got a light foot and/or do a lot of highway mileage youll prob break even compared to 87oct.
with the stock tune i only ran 93oct, the e85 would keep up with it for highway mpgs and on cruise control climbing grades it would do better. going from 87 to e85 in performance though will prob rock but counterproductive to trying to save money

Last edited:

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you need a good deal more E85 to make the same power, IIRC the smaller (350cu in) injectors would only flow enough for about 300hp on pump gas. havent kept up with tbi injection since the age of e85 coming along, but i imagine they would support 25-30% less... swapping to the 454 injectors would probably be bare minimum necessary to keep hp up. I dont think i ever owned a truck that idled smoother than one with tbi injection :lol: not sure theres a way to "trick" the old pcm to run with a flex fuel tune, you'd either need to run it all the time or be able to switch between tunes.

i think if you do nothing but swap in the 454 injectors it would run rich as hell, duty cycle would still be commanding 350 sized injectors. without a tune it would probably run better with the larger injectors and straight e85

Last edited:

Tkrysl

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what makes a vehicle E85 compatible? Will E85 really screw up my 2001 Burb?

I know very little about it.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it needs to be a flex fuel set up to run e85, or you need larger injectors and a tune to swap it over to run full time on e85.

i know a guy who got a content sensor set up so you can make it flex fuel. like a factory set up. dont know a much about other then he got it from http://getoverkilled.ca/products.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHNorthWoods