Dual battery or hi output alternator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raptorforme93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally got my 1000.1 atomic amp hooked up and I think Ill be able to run it without killing my battery (just hooked it up today not sure yet) but Im going to be adding 2 8" subs and all new speakers and another amp after christmas so I might as well start research now. Would I be able to run a dual battery setup to power everything with my stock alternator? If not can I run a good hi output alternator with my single battery? Or do I need to run both? Thank you

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
I saw somewhere that your current amp can draw up to 160A. If you have a stock 10*A alt I would think you can probably use about 23-30 % of your amp safely with all stock accessories/lights on IF you are running at high idle.

Any more power draw or slower rpm you will probably drain from the battery.

I would do both so you can expand later.

Might I suggest the following if it does not cost to much:

http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/index.html

pdf catalog page 45 c130d family. Seems to have a nice power curve for even a second amp.

#48206 i think
summit sells them as low as $245 or higher if it is chromed.

Definetly use a dual battery with the aux battery as a deep cycle optima.

I think the toolbox under the hood was the mounting area for the factory 2nd battery.

I think that will do nicely.

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
I'd go with a single battery/** alt setup (it's what I'm running anyway).

My setup: Red Top Optima, 220a Iraggi ** alternator, RF 800.2 (900+ birth sheet) powering two 1000w subs (wired @2ohm).

I can run with EVERYTHING on (high and low headlights, AC, front and rear air, and system pounding) at IDLE without a drop in power. Running a second battery is cool, but keeping everything charged is the key - you need a good alternator to do that.

quietfly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can do it, both is the idea situation. if yuo can only do one get the ** alternator, your going to need the amperage. Either way i suggest upgrading your big 3 to help with the current draw...

Biggwaukegan

Banned
Reaction score
Heres what ya do pimp. 1st....You do the big 3 wire conversion. Dont do this and I dont give a shit what you do it wont work. You gotta have big 0/1 gauge wires that can handle what your amp and battery are trying to do for you.
2nd....you get a really good battery like optima..nuff said
Finally...you switch that crappy 105 alternator they gave us and get at least a 140. I SWEAR TO YOU THIS WILL FIX ALL AMP ISSUES!:Handshake:

---------- Post added at 11:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 AM ----------

Im running a big ass sound system with 3 tvs and a xbox 360. crank it up all you want no dim here.

OP
OP
raptorforme93

raptorforme93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like Im going to go with the dual battery and the ** alternator. My truck is ok for now but once I install the rest of what I want to do in a few months it is definitely going to need the power. I am also considering putting in a kinetic battery which is specifically made to have the shit beat out of it like on a big stereo. I think its the equivalent of having 100 capacitors

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can use dual batteries for now, if they are good batts like the XS Power batts, until you have the funds for the ** alt. I recommend Mechman.

grnrpr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
agree with blueflamed dual batteries will work for now but save some change and get a ** alt also....im running 6 batts and 2 300amp alts but got alot of shit in my hoe....good luck post some pics

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442

Latest posts